Re: X86 cpu without a FPU - Vortex86sx

Doug C wrote:
I am trying to build FreeBSD 5.5 or 6.3 to run on a board that uses the DMP
Vortex86sx SOC. This chip looks like a 486sx, no FPU. Is there a way to make
a build that uses software emulation for the FPU, like the old days? I do
not see anything in the .cong file that helps. I am trying to end up using
pfSense with it. Or what old version could work with this chip?

Thanks for any help.

Doug Cross

There was a thread about this last month - see http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-January/022935.html
I think the outcome was that it's certainly possible to get the userland built with FPU emulation but there's more work required in the kernel since the MATH_EMULATE/GPL_MATH_EMULATE options were removed in 2003.

--
Bruce

  • Re: ARM uC/uP with MMU and FPU?
    ... FPU, again in BGA. ... No FPU, no CAN, no ADC. ... Atmel has something in the works that could meet my specs - but from ... I know I'd have plenty of uses for such a chip. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: How important is it to apply the correct torque?
    ... So how do you fix a chip when it breaks? ... ISTR a few years ago one CPU maker produced two versions of a CPU, ... introduced the budget 486SX which didn't have the FPU. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late70s or early 80s)
    ... This would contain the programmers reference for the AMD9511 fpu chip. ... I have the datasheet already but not any programming info yet. ... documentation archives. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: How important is it to apply the correct torque?
    ... with and the other without floating point. ... The ones without FP were made with to the same design as those with, ... had failed some kind of speed test, so the FP section of the chip was ... disabled the FPU on perfectly good chips to meet demand for the cheaper ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • X86 cpu without a FPU - Vortex86sx
    ... I am trying to build FreeBSD 5.5 or 6.3 to run on a board that uses the DMP ... Vortex86sx SOC. ... This chip looks like a 486sx, no FPU. ...
    (freebsd-questions)