RE: Laptop advice

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Fred C
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:48 PM
To: Derek Ragona
Cc: Joe Demeny; freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Laptop advice

On Mar 21, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

At 04:56 AM 3/21/2008, Joe Demeny wrote:
I need to get a budget-priced laptop, such as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101123
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114430

Does anyone have experience with these?

Any suggestions for other comparable choices?

I would choose the Toshiba, much better quality and support. You
may want to look at Lenovo's too.

In a laptop I would look at the graphics if you plan to run X.

In laptops you want to look at everything. If one of the chipset is
not supported or badly you cannot like on a desktop change a component
by an another.

You want to go here http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html
and search if every component of you laptop is supported.

Unfortunately, it is quite common for laptop vendors to write specs
that use different names than industry standard for the components,
so it is difficult to figure this out in advance.

What you want to do is get yourself a FreeBSD boot CD then go
visit a computer vendor that has display models. Do not order a
laptop online. Visit a brick and mortar vendor, and try booting
fbsd on each of the display models.

Ted

  • Re: Questions from a laptop newbie
    ... This is more a function of the drive than of the laptop, and most laptop makers use different drives in different production runs of the same laptop model. ... But if you need support, that still comes from the OEM (laptop vendor), and all driver support and updates also comes from the hardware vendor. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: PC wont boot up - LSASS.exe problem ???
    ... Help & Support again. ... Then if it fails to load, reboot to Safe mode, ... Problem on boot up. ... Turned her Sony laptop on. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Latest Windows XP Updates Break File Sharing?
    ... Each Security MSKB and Security bulletin contains this, ... no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. ... I just installed today's 9 updates on my XP laptop and now I cannot access the file sharing on my other Windows XP systems, nor from them access my laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Thats betterer!...
    ... By that I mean the cheapest Apple laptop is more ... I wanted) and I don't use OSX often enough to warrant it. ... and getting support here in the UK was going to cost money. ... With a space laptop in use there never will be. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Hp Software screwing up windows
    ... came with OS setup media. ... system without preloaded junks from HP. ... I have to give Dell credit, though- whenever I called their support and got lucky enough to get a tech that spoke and understood English, their support was superb, although I never had any support problems with HP either, just less cause to use it. ... I had one Compaq laptop, one HP laptop, two Compaq PC's, and various other makes and models of hand-me-downs and home-builds. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)