RE: Laptop advice

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Fred C
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:48 PM
To: Derek Ragona
Cc: Joe Demeny; freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Laptop advice

On Mar 21, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

At 04:56 AM 3/21/2008, Joe Demeny wrote:
I need to get a budget-priced laptop, such as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101123
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114430

Does anyone have experience with these?

Any suggestions for other comparable choices?

I would choose the Toshiba, much better quality and support. You
may want to look at Lenovo's too.

In a laptop I would look at the graphics if you plan to run X.

In laptops you want to look at everything. If one of the chipset is
not supported or badly you cannot like on a desktop change a component
by an another.

You want to go here http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html
and search if every component of you laptop is supported.

Unfortunately, it is quite common for laptop vendors to write specs
that use different names than industry standard for the components,
so it is difficult to figure this out in advance.

What you want to do is get yourself a FreeBSD boot CD then go
visit a computer vendor that has display models. Do not order a
laptop online. Visit a brick and mortar vendor, and try booting
fbsd on each of the display models.

Ted