Re: How to I turn off the colors in emacs?

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:04:29 +0100, Dieter <freebsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FreeBSD 7.0 with package emacs-22.1_2

Attempt to edit a C file and emacs goes into some colorized mode.
Of course it chooses colors that are unreadable.
How do I turn OFF the colors and get simple black and white?
(ASCII mode, not X11)

The default global-font-lock value has changed in Emacs 22.X, and it is
now turned *on*. So if you want to turn font-lock off, you will have to
turn it off. This should be as easy as adding the following to your
~/.emacs startup file:

(global-font-lock -1)

But this doesn't start Emacs in `no colors should be used at all' mode.
If you want to do that, you can fire up Emacs with:

emacs --color=no

Then Emacs will only use the usual `bold', `underline' and `reverse
video' attributes for displayed characters.

HTH,
Giorgos

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at ... but that's not what emacs is. ... multiple top-level windows, ... over and over again for each instance you need to do an edit near. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • how to edit a file as admin
    ... Another little emacs tip. ... The tip is about how to edit files that ... you want to edit a file that requires admin privilege. ...
    (comp.emacs)
  • Emacs too slow for casual editing [was Re: Formatting Posts With VI]
    ... > postponed post is just not fast enough. ... And besides, Emacs isn't the ... > right tool if all one wants to do is edit a file, ... > time one logs into the system and be closed when one logs out of the ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Running an application more than once
    ... It is up to the program developer to ... developers for Emacs rather explicitly recommend the opposite. ... You edit one file and then exit the editor. ... and do all your editing in the same Emacs session. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Tcl Cross Platform Editors - your top five.
    ... I can't compile Vim on some of these ... platforms for various reasons and Vi is not sufficient. ... Emacs is the best and should compile and or have packages for all ... If you can ssh into a box then you can edit ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)