Re: Stop building all those kernel modules

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Luke Dean wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Luke Dean wrote:

In previous versions, I could modify GENERIC by just commenting out all the devices and options that I wasn't interested in, and buildkernel KERNCONF=myconf would happily ignore all the things I wasn't interested in.

This no longer works. Now everything gets built, even things that are broken/incompatible with other options I've chosen.

Ah, I was confused. It built all of the modules in the past as well. It just wasn't a problem before because everything built correctly.
Today it appears to be bombing while compiling the "zyd" device, which wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't at the end of the alphabet...

I'm going to clean up and start over from the beginning. If it happens again and I can't figure it out, I'll post my kernel configuration and the error message.

There's nothing wrong with zyd. It just has the misfortune of being the last module to be built.
I was building the kernel with nanobsd, which uses "make -j3" by default.
Running multiple make jobs at the same time like that made it impossible for me to see that the build was really crashing because I'd left something important out of my kernel configuration.

  • Re: "No devices found" in X
    ... Sven Joachim wrote: ... CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set in the kernel configuration. ... unless vesafb is also built into the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Strange problem with kldload and pf
    ... > So I'm guessing the standalone 'pf.ko' module was built to expect INET6 ... even though INET6 was commented out of the kernel configuration at ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: "No devices found" in X
    ... CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set in the kernel configuration. ... unless vesafb is also built into the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Strange problem with kldload and pf
    ... So I'm guessing the standalone 'pf.ko' module was built to expect INET6 ... even though INET6 was commented out of the kernel configuration at ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: illegal option in mergemaster
    ... On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Luke Dean wrote: ... > I synchronized my sources to RELENG_6 built the world, built the kernel, and ... > installed the kernel. ... > hosts.equiv hosts.lpd inetd.conf login.access login.conf mac.conf motd ...
    (freebsd-questions)