There's nothing in /var/crash

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Alan

On 20/05/2008, Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Crash dumps should help.

Alan Gilmour wrote:

Hey all,

We have recently been getting a lot of traffic to one of our sites.
The CPU is consistently during busy periods using 100% utilisation.
When this happens we have approx 150 apache threads, and the loads
goes way above 15.

However recently the server has been auto-restarting (when under heavy
load) with no explanation in any logs. I've checked the console log,
messages, db logs e.t.c. but no mention of anything wrong.

Brief server summary :

FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #0:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2800.11-MHz 686-class CPU)
Logical CPUs per core: 2
real memory = 17716740096 (16896 MB)
avail memory = 16837763072 (16057 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs

We tried installing mbmon and lmmon and healthd, but none seem to work.

Anyone got any suggestions for other things we can try to detect why
the server is failing? or other ways to check things like CPU temp and
memory status?

Cheers

Alan

This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential
and exclusive use of the intended addressee(s). If you receive it in
error, please delete the message. All information contained within
this e-mail is without prejudice. Do not disclose, copy, circulate or
use any information contained herein.

  • Re: for linux, which CPUs are almost always faster than which other CPUs?
    ... Is there any way to find out how to compare two different CPUs for the ... For a *web server*, the main bottleneck is you disk drives / mass storage ... The *second* bottleneck will be memory. ... And then I'll ask someone about comparing CPU A and CPU B, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: 64-bit memory consumption
    ... CPU cores and memory keep pace with each other, ... There is time spent in GC that won't be affected only to the GC cycles, you get indirect hits in the form of poor cache coherency and cache pollution in the code that uses GC'ed memory. ... Desktop CPUs with significantly larger caches aren't there yet, and on a server, your cache is shared by multiple applications, and you can't appropriate it all for your application's purpose without affecting the rest. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Slowly Terminal Server response
    ... physical memory is an indicator of available memory. ... If Task Manager only shows a single CPU graph, then only one CPU is installed. ... A good general guide to keep in mind is that most applications require the similar amount of memory as they would on a desktop for each user. ... I normally start with a general guideline of 25-30 concurrent users for a server with 4 GB of RAM and 2 CPUs and then do testing for a specific set of required applications. ...
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... for memory and CPU can give you an idea of what is going on. ... The server runs the following apps/services ... force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot. ...
  • Re: Slowly Terminal Server response
    ... You can use threadmater to cap the cpu usage on your access app: ... How much memory is left when the 20 sessions are running? ... MVP - Terminal Server ...