FreeBSD + Unicode filenames

Hi,

Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding handling unicode characters in filenames on freeBSD.

I have an rsync backup script running from a linux server which hosts many files with european accented characters.

The script bombs out on encountering these files, and as i understand it this isn't an rsync issue but presumably one of the filesystem being able to handle filenames containing these characters.

I've read a bit online re unicode terminals, handling unicode text in files, but i really just need to be able to have unicode filenames..

The systems are a mix of 6.2 and 7.0, but a fix under 6.2 would be most helpful..

thanks

Paul.

  • Re: Filesystem syntax constraints under Windows
    ... for example the Latin alphabet as used in English has 26 characters. ... Windows mangles the names it is given. ... Don entered filenames, albeit unusual ones. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: spaces in filenames ?
    ... an assumption about the characters allowed in a filename. ... filenames don't contain newline characters (but beware that once ... IFS=" ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: Mac file NAMING that doesnt work on PCs
    ... Mac documents folder to that server once and was rejected because my ... several characters which have special meanings on Windows and therefore ... Colon separates the drive letter from the rest of the pathname. ... Quotes are used to delimit filenames containing spaces. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: FTPFindFirstFile unicode
    ... window; the hex for the text in the lower window appears below that window. ... be encoded using 520 characters in UTF-8, and this might be where the problem is. ... It works fine for filenames that have english ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Long File Names used to be OK--now Windows doesnt like them! W
    ... File names in XP can have up to 255 characters. ... Many CD-R mastering programs limit the length of the filenames that can be ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)