Re: Configuring an older server for speed...

prad wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:17:05 -0400
David Gurvich <david.gurvich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Many of these features have undiscovered bugs that you might
prefer not discovering on your own server.

oh oh.
but what if we are just running a plain webserver (mainly static html)
and email. we are sticking to ufs of course.
it is an older machine - dual 1.3G with 2G ram and a raid card.

we've run 7 since the beginning of june on 2 desktops (700Hz with 192M
and 128M ram) doing the above serving without any problems and are just
about to set up this server to replace the other 2.

should we use 7 or think about going with 6.3?

I'd go with 7.x every time. It wipes the floor with 6.3 performance-wise
and it is just as stable and bug-free as you'ld expect from FreeBSD. You've
seen it works for you: there's no conceivable reason to downgrade.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
Flat 3

  • Re: Configuring an older server for speed...
    ... but what if we are just running a plain webserver (mainly static html) ... it is an older machine - dual 1.3G with 2G ram and a raid card. ... about to set up this server to replace the other 2. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Alocated Memory Error (SQLSERVR)
    ... but my understanding is that the MSDE instances are designed to ... and you don't want it grabbing all that RAM. ... running but non ever going about 200mb of memory usage. ... Server 2000 SP4, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: High memory usage (*HELP*)
    ... you can use Computer Management MMC to view the server logs. ... a server with 4 GB RAM, I doubt you need the second page file on D. So ... The virtual memory on D: drive is set to: 1550/3075 ... throttled ISA and Monitoring. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Alocated Memory Error (SQLSERVR)
    ... FWIW I am not using sbs 2003 premium, ... non ever going about 200mb of memory usage. ... on what you should throttle the RAM to. ... Server 2000 SP4, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows 2000 Server StandardEdition /PAE Question
    ... specifically the SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on that server. ... His point is that applications can only use up to 2 GB or RAM on ... a process running under Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 can ... used) with some of the memory being physical memory and some being virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)