Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Andrei Iarus <poni1111@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,
How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?

The same way you can format any other disk.

I usually format my USB sticks by creating a single da0s1 slice and then
one (or more) BSD labels in that slice, by typing the commands:

fdisk -BI /dev/da0
bsdlabel -w -B /dev/da0s1
newfs /dev/da0s1a

If they are going to be used by non-BSD systems, I prefer msdosfs, so I
use:

fdisk -BI /dev/da0
newfs_msdos /dev/da0s1

The command-line options and what they do will be more obvious if you
read the manpages of fdisk(8), bsdlabel(8), newfs(8), and newfs_msdos(8).

There is also a nice article online that you will probably find useful:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html

  • Re: Question/Problem creating a live USB
    ... that flash drives has cache on most systems - so it's a ... You have to wipe it the complete USB key again. ... The usb flash drive has partition 1 as a fat32 filesystem. ... able to format the drive. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: usb removable drive
    ... I have no problems accessing and formatting my external usb HDD using fdisk. ... >> not initialize or format. ... > computer's power) as is usually the case with these drives when used in a ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Word file format problems
    ... Instead of saving the files to your USB storage device save them to the hard ... How are you saving them to DOCX format at home? ... Dim strFileName As String ... Any ideas why our school network computers are recognising these ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Checking HDD for virus and formatting with Vista
    ... What is the best way to format the hard disk using Vista? ... When you plug the old drive in its USB enclosure into a USB port on your new ... BTW, while Windows can be rendered inoperable by a virus, ...
  • Re: Broadcaster admits current digital terrestrial SD television in UKofGB&NI suffers degraded
    ... to upload MD recordings via USB to the PC is what killed the format ... through the line-input to a Hi-MD disk can be transferred via USB to a PC ... and optionally be saved in WAV format. ... pensioner so I still won't have to pay them anything. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)