jmicron based usb drive

Hiya

I was happy to purchase a device that allow an external drive to be
connected via USB. this thing just has 3 sockets, no case. sockets
for SATA, IDE and 2.5" IDE, plus an external power supply for drives
that need it. Works perfectly on my WinXP box...

but on FreeBSD 7.0R I get this in dmesg
umass0: <JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2> on uhub2
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1: <WDC WD20 0EB-00CPF0 4G06> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: 19092MB (39102336 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 2434C)

but no /dev/da*
and attempts to mount/fdisk/disklabel the drive just do nothing, in
fact fdisk never exited, and neither did
mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt
(yes it has partitions on it from a previous cloning operation)

now i'll reboot the box and see what transpires...

--
DA Fo rsyth Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research