jmicron based usb drive

Hiya

I was happy to purchase a device that allow an external drive to be
connected via USB. this thing just has 3 sockets, no case. sockets
for SATA, IDE and 2.5" IDE, plus an external power supply for drives
that need it. Works perfectly on my WinXP box...

but on FreeBSD 7.0R I get this in dmesg
umass0: <JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2> on uhub2
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1: <WDC WD20 0EB-00CPF0 4G06> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: 19092MB (39102336 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 2434C)

but no /dev/da*
and attempts to mount/fdisk/disklabel the drive just do nothing, in
fact fdisk never exited, and neither did
mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt
(yes it has partitions on it from a previous cloning operation)

now i'll reboot the box and see what transpires...

--
DA Fo rsyth Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research

  • Re: Boot from USB PRM (Partitioned Removable Media ) failed after loading OS2LVM.DMD error: "OS/2 i
    ... I think I understand the issue about BASEDEV order for SCSI vs. IDE drives in the CONFIG.SYS. ... But how does this work out with SATA drives when you attempt to mix them with USB 2.0 Hard Disk external units? ... And, incidentally, that is with Dani's replacement driver for IBM1S506.ADD, the release just previous to her brand new level toolset of a couple days ago. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: [opensuse] USB 2.0 external hard drives
    ... to pay for portable powered USB drives. ... I have had some experience with CoolGear Boxes. ... box where a SCSI physical connector is used (even with IDE or SATA ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Laptop reviews
    ... IDE. ... Plus you can have 2 of them, (like a IDE 3.5 and a laptopdrive or SATA ... feature idea as it shouldnt be hampered with USB speeds??? ... it yet with 2 drives at once and the boss is gone right now. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Re: usb <--> ide drive adapter?
    ... CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power ... for the laptop drives it can use power from the USB. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)