Re: reviving games/freebsd-games

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:03:32 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:57:15 +0100 Jurjen Middendorp wrote:

If you do char *p = "something", you can't write to that string
(it's a pointer into some stringtable: easy way to look at it
:). You have to use char p[] = "something", then it's an array
with enough storage to write to :) maybe try something like char
scrollname[NUMSCROLLS][]; ?

this type of declaration evokes "array type has incomplete element
type", which is seen as compliant behaviour by gcc experts. so this is
a no go.

I thought I'd clean up that code declaring a real struct like:

struct scrollname_s {
int active;
char name[] = "...";
};

this is what i actually did. it makes the code way more easier to read
and keep.

then name could stay read-only. OTOH I found numerous larn versions,
so keeping ours "compatible" might keep maintenance costs down.

I'd still be interested in what others did.

-c