Re: FreeBSD and hardware??

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:04:51 -0500
michael <michael.copeland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob McConnell wrote:
2. Do an SMB mount of remote directories onto the desktop or your
home directory. Open any application and access files in that
directory as easily as when they are on the local drive.
[...]
also, my vlc sees any mounted drive or directory, no matter the
protocol. so does mplayer, etc. i don't know why your system doesn't
operate correctly, but i don't have that issue at all.
e,g:
/mnt/Azureus Downloads
this mount is mounted over samba from a computer on the other side of
the house, and i see everything on it and play my files over the
network.

But it doesn't work if you use "Places -> Connect to Server" - the share
appears on the Desktop as though it's mounted, but you have to realise
that it's actually a GVFS mount, not a kernel-level mount. So only
Gnome applications which know about GVFS are able to see the files.

--
Bruce Cran

  • Re: FreeBSD and hardware??
    ... home directory. ... Open any application and access files in that ... that it's actually a GVFS mount, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup
    ... On starting kontact I got an access denied, ... In konqueror I saw my borg home directory listed. ... Still more weird - I now have an icon for the networked folder. ... mount it on your machine. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Partitioning scheme for file/mail server
    ... > I do symlinking here. ... Time to repost my /home hack, I think, even though it's incomplete and a bit ... the same home directory can't be exported by more than one machine at ... The missing piece in all this is that of course you can't mount -o bg ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup
    ... During kde startup I was told that access was ... In konqueror I saw my borg home directory listed. ... mount point had disappeared. ... What is really puzzling me is that I get a desktop icon for the remote home ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: moving /home
    ... should look in $HOME, or in /etc/passwd, or similar to find your home directory. ... If you didn't want to preserve this, you could simply mount /dev/sde1 *anywhere*, and use useradd to modify your account preferences, and be done. ... Create a partition on your new disc, which may be the whole disc, ... /homesave or whatever, create an empty directory /home, and edit ...
    (Fedora)