Re: FreeBSD and hardware??

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:04:51 -0500
michael <michael.copeland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob McConnell wrote:
2. Do an SMB mount of remote directories onto the desktop or your
home directory. Open any application and access files in that
directory as easily as when they are on the local drive.
[...]
also, my vlc sees any mounted drive or directory, no matter the
protocol. so does mplayer, etc. i don't know why your system doesn't
operate correctly, but i don't have that issue at all.
e,g:
/mnt/Azureus Downloads
this mount is mounted over samba from a computer on the other side of
the house, and i see everything on it and play my files over the
network.

But it doesn't work if you use "Places -> Connect to Server" - the share
appears on the Desktop as though it's mounted, but you have to realise
that it's actually a GVFS mount, not a kernel-level mount. So only
Gnome applications which know about GVFS are able to see the files.

--
Bruce Cran