Re: PostgreSQL setup

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 06:32:58 Odhiambo Washington wrote:
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Andrew Gould
<andrewlylegould@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM, stan <stanb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have installed PostgreSQL via the ports on a new 7.1 machine. I am

trying

to set it up.

I found:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/postgresql.php

Whic says to run:

su -l pgsql -c initdb

But that gives me the following error message:

initdb: no data directory specified
You must identify the directory where the data for this database system
will reside. Do this with either the invocation option -D or the
environment variable PGDATA.

Go into the port directory for postgresql71 and so "make deinstall". After
that, do

script -a ~/PGSQL-INSTALL.txt make install clean

Once that is done, go ito the ~/PGSQL-INSTALL.txt and read the lines
towards the bottom. Those are sometimes calles Post-install message. They
tell you exactly what to do on FreeBSD.

Erm, that's kind of a round-about way to accomplish:
cat /usr/local/share/doc/postgresql/README-server
or:
cat /var/db/pkg/postgresql-server*/+DISPLAY

--
Mel

and never get to the software part.