Re: poor performances with Intel Raid Controller (iir)

I've a machine with an integrated Intel RAID controller (U320) which
uses the iir driver. I have two arrays, one RAID 1 with two disks and
one RAID 5 with 8 disks. The disks are all Seagate 320MB/s. The system
is running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE with 8 processors (2,40 Ghz) and 4GB or
RAM.

I have very poor performances, around ~50 MB/s, is it normal ?

jcigar@bccm-it ~ % dd if=/dev/zero of=blah bs=10M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
1048576000 bytes transferred in 20.168689 secs (51990290 bytes/sec)

Are there any tool to detect what could be the bottleneck(s) ?

are you sure it isn't NORMAL performance of this card.

i think it is, the "hardware" RAID solutions are usually much slower than software, even more with RAID5.

  • Re: difference between striping using mdadm and LVM
    ... way!), is "thou shalt make a plan for restoring from backups, test ... another bonus of software raid - if your hardware raid card dies, ... additional backups on - I store my other backups on Iomega REV disks. ... is part of the live array, and both data and parity blocks are ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: DC RAID Configuration
    ... If the machine has 6 spindles then OS/Logs go on a hardware mirror, if 10 then they go on a 4 disk hardware based 0+1 RAID. ... Their DIT is only in the teens in size so the disks themselves could be small, you just need many to get the high IOPS that make AD really run smoothly. ... 30 DCs with 2500 users total, unless the environment had a lot of very heavy use AD apps I would likely be ok for even a single mirror for those DCs. ...
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... old fileserver hardware I have on hand. ... But, as you probably know, these drives are reasonably ... desktop-class drives as JBODs and using mdadm to RAID them. ... want to move to bigger disks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Supermicro SAS controller
    ... There is currently no known opensource tool for theses cards. ... does not support a RAID 6 level (which is better than RAID 5 because ... Like this I can use disks with different sizes. ... of the arrays go down, the rebuilding operation can take up to "days" ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ASUS P4C800 Deluxe & SATA-2 drives?
    ... > "The P4C800 Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. ... A Promise SATA ... transfer bandwidth to be increased according to the number of disks used. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)