Re: MySQL 5.0 on FreeBSD 7

Matt Juszczak wrote:
Hi all,

About a year ago, I setup MySQL 5.0.45 on a FreeBSD 6.x box (64 bit). I read at the time that the use of pthreads with FreeBSD would significantly improve performance, but as I was running the 64 bit version of FreeBSD, I could not use them.

Fast forward to today - a different setup and new opportunity has allowed me to research this combination again. This time, some reading I have done on the use of FreeBSD 7 with MySQL has shown significant performance increases, but none of them really mention in detail how MySQL was setup.

I decided to install a 64 bit version of FreeBSD 7.x (to address the 8 GB RAM in the box) and attempt to build with pthreads enabled, as well as a static build and optimized compiler options. Once again, got the error/warning in ports that the linux pthreads only works with the i386 32 bit setup.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully seen a MySQL 5.x performance boost with FreeBSD 7 compared to that of FreeBSD 6 on a 64 bit architecture, and if so, what they did to enable that boost.

Thanks!

-Matt

Opps

here is link:

http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator

  • Re: MySQL 5.0 on FreeBSD 7
    ... I read at the time that the use of pthreads with FreeBSD would significantly improve performance, but as I was running the 64 bit version of FreeBSD, I could not use them. ... Fast forward to today - a different setup and new opportunity has allowed me to research this combination again. ... This time, some reading I have done on the use of FreeBSD 7 with MySQL has shown significant performance increases, but none of them really mention in detail how MySQL was setup. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • MySQL 5.0 on FreeBSD 7
    ... I read at the time that the use of pthreads with FreeBSD would significantly improve performance, but as I was running the 64 bit version of FreeBSD, I could not use them. ... Fast forward to today - a different setup and new opportunity has allowed me to research this combination again. ... This time, some reading I have done on the use of FreeBSD 7 with MySQL has shown significant performance increases, but none of them really mention in detail how MySQL was setup. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1
    ... Nevertheless I run a production MySQL on a double-Xeon (Supermicro ... etc) which eventually kill MySQL with FreeBSD ... CPU: AMD OpteronProcessor 246 ... <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • What am I doing wrong with MOUNT?
    ... I'm brand new to FreeBSD and Unix world in general. ... I installed MySQL version 3.23 from the ports ... of his database that I had MySQL dump on his FreeBSD server and FTP'd it to ... I mounted the new drive 1 to a temporary mount point and used the cp command ...
    (freebsd-newbies)
  • Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux
    ... I hope this can help us out to get MySQL humming on -STABLE, ... >> To make benchmarks a help provided to improve FreeBSD, ... > This box is currently setup to slave from the master. ... > System crashed while simply slaving from the master. ...
    (freebsd-stable)