bsnmpd vs net-snmp

Hello all,

I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system
parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. SNMP is an obvious
choice to do the monitoring and I'm planning to set up rrdtool to
generate graphs of captured data. The question is what SNMP agent to
use. I found net-snmp and bsnmpd (which is included in the base
system). Has anyone here used both implementations, and if so, what
are the basic differences?

Thanks,
Max

  • Re: bsnmpd vs net-snmp
    ... I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system ... parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. ... The question is what SNMP agent to ... net-snmp has no problems providing 64-bit counters. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: bsnmpd vs net-snmp
    ... I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system ... parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. ... The question is what SNMP agent to ... I use bsnmpd, because I couldn't measure 64-bit counters otherwise. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: bsnmpd vs net-snmp
    ... I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system ... parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. ... The question is what SNMP agent to ... I use bsnmpd, because I couldn't measure 64-bit counters otherwise. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools
    ... Of course if your server is prone to running out of resources you should also be collecting that data via snmp with thresholds to notify you before you have an outage or at least graphing it so you'll understand the trends. ... We were able to use the monitor to look for ... Most of the common things you would want are already built in so you don't have to script them - or install scripts on all the clients. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Code curosity - long, technical, and probably boring!
    ... a cpu is merely capable of adding ones ... Even subtraction is accomplished by the ability of a cpu to add ones ... to utilize the monitor and keypad. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)