Re: php4 + php5

Mark wrote:
Using a single Apache 1.3.x install, is there a way to install both

mod_php4 + mod_php5 together? I can't just upgrade to php5: not every

webboard and such accepts php5 yet. On some dirs (or per vhost) I like

the Apache server to use php5, though.

No. At least, not within the current ports system. Quite apart from
anything else, the php4 and php5 ports conflict -- they fight over
installing files to certain locations. I'm also not certain that loading both mod_php4 and mod_php5 into the same instance of Apache
is viable.

The standard answer to this sort of problem is to use multiple instances
of apache. There's support in the rc scripts to do that[*] -- you'll have
to work out a mechanism (proxying, running different instances on
different IP numbers or ports, etc.) to get the web traffic into the correct
apache instance.

However, the conflicts between php4 and php5 make this unfeasible, and
probably the solution here is to use separately jailed instances of apache.

Cheers,

Matthew

[*] Well, there certainly is for apache22 -- I assume that the same applies
to the other apache versions in the ports.

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
Flat 3

  • Re: Upgrade PHP
    ... > server in which i have to upgrade PHP from 4 to 5. ... > I've read about the ports, ... Now go ahead and replace all of the php4 modules with their php5 ... You should stop apache before starting on this whole exercise, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: port-MESS with apache22
    ... I had run portsnap on 7.2 but did not update the ports. ... apache was working. ... Sommehow the installation of apache22 stumbled over some configuration ... mod_php5 isn't built by default when you install php5. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [: -le: argument expected
    ... Quoting Pete French: ... ago and getting it working with ports as I had been ... Apache 2.0 has anything to do with it. ... As the PHP5 build doesn't even ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: [: -le: argument expected
    ... ago and getting it working with ports as I had been ... Apache 2.0 has anything to do with it. ... As the PHP5 build doesn't even ... How about try configuring it *not* to build the apache dependent bits and ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: [PHP] Question before upgrading to 5
    ... anyway I see you did do a dual apache setup, cool, and got it working properly. ... but it sure is a cool trick if you really need to run php4 sites and php5 sites on one production ... install of apache would allow you to do. ... php in so far as you can also specify a custom prefix to have ...
    (php.general)