Re: Installing latest version of LaTeX

Roland Smith wrote:
On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 08:04:19PM +0200, Peter Boosten wrote:
Roland Smith wrote:
On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:46:36PM -0400, Daniel Underwood wrote:
Having trouble mounting the ISO:

[daniel@bsdbox ~]$ sudo mount_cd9660 -o ro /dev/`mdconfig -a -t vnode
-f ./texlve2008.iso` ./mount/
mdconfig: open(/dev/mdctl): Permission denied
Regular users don't have read/write permissions on /dev/mdctl.

So either change those permissions so that your user-id has those
permissions, or run mdconfig as root.

Hmmm, one might think that 'sudo' does exactly that ;-)

It does that for the mount_cd9660 command, but _before_ sudo it called,
the code between backticks is executed by the shell as the regular user.
I thought that was obvious, so I didn't mention it.

Ah, yeah, you're right. Sorry, missed that one.

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org

  • Re: Copying files over the Network
    ... I had previously taken the time to read the appropriate stanzas in the commands documentation relating to Permissions and command behavior when using root. ... Mark, your recommendation to use who am i proved to be the key to the issue. ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: Copying files over the Network
    ... As such, when using RCP or RSH as root, ... Make sure that the permissions on the $HOME/.rhosts ... When I attempt Simon's tar command or Mark Ray's rcp ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 208
    ... Superuser confusion or maybe critically confused ... "Permissions" appears nowhere in Nautilus, so far as I can tell. ... I am attempting to learn to use command line. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... We are defining 'command' differently. ... When discussing root permissions, I define commands at the OS level. ... sudo lets me run a complete binary application as a different user. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Isolate home directory shares
    ... I believe the command for one subfolder would be similar to: ... removes the inheritance flag but leaves existing permissions for the ... home directories are done with ADUC using profile tab: ...