Untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed

Whenever I

$ ssh -X user@server

from my FreeBSD machine, I get the following message (and am
successfully logged in):

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

When I log in to the same servers from my Ubuntu machines, I do NOT
get that message.

What's wrong here?

  • Re: Untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed
    ... from my FreeBSD machine, I get the following message (and am ... Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated ... Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Tunneling X without X available
    ... completely devoid of xauth, but this is worth a try. ... Then, also from my workstation, I logged into the protected-server via ... the forwarded local port with '-X' option to enable x11 forwarding: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... but I cannot seem to get X to work over ssh. ... No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. ... You have to install on openSUSE the package that contains xauth. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: X11 forwarding issue
    ... > I want to setup ssh for X11 forwarding. ... But sshd generates a random cookie with every new session and that ... > causes xauth to timeout. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... Just upgraded my home server to 11.3. ... I login to the system from OS X or another older openSUSE with ... Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated ... No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. ...
    (SuSE)