Re: How to symlink devfs devices?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 07:33:42 -0500, "Sagara Wijetunga" <sagara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

Is it possible to create a symlink to a device and use the symlink in place
of the real device name in FreeBSD, especially in version 7.2?

1. A disk
/dev/camera -> /dev/da0s1

2. A network device
re0 -> lan0

That's no problem: Use the "link" statement: "link <source> <target>",
such as

link da0s1 camera
link re0 lan0

in you /etc/devfs.conf file. See the manual page for this file for
more information, or see the example entries in this file.

--
Polytropon
From Magdeburg, Germany

  • Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?
    ... Without this symlink, then SSL certs aren't found by the 'fetch' ... There's no reason for bash to be exceptions to the 24000 ... FreeBSD is in the minority, while Linux and MacOS X are in the vast ... Telling people to change their shell scripts, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: CUPS --- how to make it work with 5.2 ??
    ... > I find that for a host of reasons I must make CUPS work on this box to ... > be able to use FreeBSD full time. ... and symlink the CUPS versions to /usr/bin (i.e. do a ... The install scripts are /supposed/ to do the renaming so the "CUPS ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?
    ... The correct thing is to make a port/pkg that installs the symlink and /etc/shells this for the user. ... a mix of Linux machines and FreeBSD machines. ... If you want interoperability just use /usr/bin/env bash as a shebang. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas." ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink, ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... the same physical file system. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)