Re: How to symlink devfs devices?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 07:33:42 -0500, "Sagara Wijetunga" <sagara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

Is it possible to create a symlink to a device and use the symlink in place
of the real device name in FreeBSD, especially in version 7.2?

1. A disk
/dev/camera -> /dev/da0s1

2. A network device
re0 -> lan0

That's no problem: Use the "link" statement: "link <source> <target>",
such as

link da0s1 camera
link re0 lan0

in you /etc/devfs.conf file. See the manual page for this file for
more information, or see the example entries in this file.

--
Polytropon
From Magdeburg, Germany

  • Re: CUPS --- how to make it work with 5.2 ??
    ... > I find that for a host of reasons I must make CUPS work on this box to ... > be able to use FreeBSD full time. ... and symlink the CUPS versions to /usr/bin (i.e. do a ... The install scripts are /supposed/ to do the renaming so the "CUPS ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas." ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink, ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... the same physical file system. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: RE: Is FreeBSDs tar susceptible to this?
    ... contents of the symlink, no. ... > FreeBSD and OpenBSD are both using gtar. ... The tar format has a rich history, dating back to Sixth Edition UNIX. ... if you have a hostile process, you tend to be forced in to assuming the ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: rm -f doesnt delete symlink
    ... Jeppe Bundsgaard wrote: ... I am trying to upgrade to FreeBSD 6.1. ... But when I run installworld ... error the script tries to delete the old symlink with: ...
    (freebsd-questions)