Re: Disk Cloning

2009/9/28 Polytropon <freebsd@xxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:14:44 -0500, Chris <racerx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please suggest a cloning method comparable to Clonezilla.

For FreeBSD, I'd tend to use dump + restore, because that's
their main purpose.

Clonezilla does a nice job with OS's other than *BSD (It uses dd (iirc))
and that takes forever (at least when cloning - have not tried a
restore).

You haven't tried restoring? You should, it's worth it, because
what's the value of a backup that cannot be restored? :-)

Some specs I'm using to compare: A typical restore/save currently with
other OS's using CloneZ takes about 12 minutes with a simple boot from
CD.

The restored/imaged drive is 400 meg sata.

Well, dump + restore isn't known for ultimate performance, but
its results are good; dd, on the other hand, is another possible
way to go. The advantage of dd is that it can be used with any
filesystem.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

If your going to do all the partitoning manually its not to much more work
to newfs them as well. You can then use rsync which is fast. Make sure you
use good flags though, the following should do the job

rsync -aPH --numeric-ids

  • Re: backup
    ... >> get tricky if your new system that you need to restore the data to isn't ... >> sized the same as the old and isn't using the same version of dump. ... eg a dump in FreeBSd 3.xx can be restore in FreeBSD 4.xx, ... And, really, for most cases of making a backup against disk failures ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: restore issues "Header with wrong dumpdate." and "getfile: lost data"
    ... restore issues "Header with wrong dumpdate." ... and "getfile: lost data" ... Version 1.44.2.1 of tape.c shipped with FreeBSD 6.2 has a different ... I would like to get a copy of the dump ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Backup using dump and restore from dvd - restore cd loaded to ram ?drive?
    ... The restore method will then require to boot from a bootable CD. ... The rescue CD should provide basic commands and programs like mount*, ... I have tried the installation CD with FreeBSD 6.2, ... Bascially you have to do it similar to the FreeBSD ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Backup using dump and restore from dvd - restore cd loaded to ram ?drive?
    ... > The restore method will then require to boot from a bootable CD. ... > The rescue CD should provide basic commands and programs like mount*, ... Bascially you have to do it similar to the FreeBSD ... to simply use a standard FreeBSD installation CD, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Problem Restoring Dump Via Fixit Environment in FreeBSD 6.0 Release Boot Cdrom
    ... backups of my Gentoo and FreeBSD partitions. ... and run FIXIT to try and restore the dumps I run into problems. ... fixit won't even let me mount my linux boot drive ...
    (freebsd-questions)