Re: Why is sendmail is part of the system and not a package?

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 00:16, Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 26 October 2009 21:29:27 Yuri wrote:
It's in /usr/sbin/sendmail.

How many people actually use it? Very few.
Why isn't it moved to ports?

What is this anti-sendmail obsession people have?

Almost everyone I've ever spoken to about why they dislike sendmail trots out
a bunch of cliches based on sendmail 8.8. People, we're up to sendmail 8.14
now. Get over it!

Just as a matter of interest, if you want to rip sendmail out of the base
system, which MTA would you like to replace it with? Or are you suggesting
the system ship with no way to handle mail?

I tried sendmail about 8 years ago. Don't know what the version was.
Found it opaque and obscure.

Went to Postfix, and have never looked back.

Can't comment on sendmail's current state or practice, but postfix
Just Works(tm) for me.

Kurt