Re: Why is sendmail is part of the system and not a package?

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 00:16, Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 26 October 2009 21:29:27 Yuri wrote:
It's in /usr/sbin/sendmail.

How many people actually use it? Very few.
Why isn't it moved to ports?

What is this anti-sendmail obsession people have?

Almost everyone I've ever spoken to about why they dislike sendmail trots out
a bunch of cliches based on sendmail 8.8. People, we're up to sendmail 8.14
now. Get over it!

Just as a matter of interest, if you want to rip sendmail out of the base
system, which MTA would you like to replace it with? Or are you suggesting
the system ship with no way to handle mail?

I tried sendmail about 8 years ago. Don't know what the version was.
Found it opaque and obscure.

Went to Postfix, and have never looked back.

Can't comment on sendmail's current state or practice, but postfix
Just Works(tm) for me.

Kurt

  • Re: sendmail vs. postfix question
    ... > Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as ... > Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the ... > Postfix has a different architecture, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: [opensuse] How to monitor Linux systems from a focal/central point (was: ranting and raving abo
    ... I'm perfectly well aware of how to set up Postfix, and, for my sins, ... workstation ran Postfix, exim, sendmail or other such MTA. ... this is solely regarding the case of a minimal install on a resource-limited ... client machine that has absolutely no need for an MTA to be installed. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Large Prod Env Mail Host Was [Re: ClamAV Feedback]
    ... > Postfix is inappropriate for our task as it's not configurable enough ... Milter and LDAP support must be ... I believe you're building sendmail yourself them. ... > users to change their passwords and other things on the LDAP servers. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: java on RH AS 3.0?
    ... same program names) and switch between them without uninstalling either. ... Its most common use is to switch between sendmail and postfix, ... is done using a series of 'slave' links which are automtically switched ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: DistroWatch: A First Look At FreeBSD-7.0
    ... Sendmail is outdated and the config file is ... Postfix in my opinion is the best MTA. ... the config and thus if I can I pick exim because that's what I'm ... base system like FreeBSD's simply does not exist. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)