Re: trouble installing to sun blade 1500

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 04:13:20PM +0000, Adrian Urquhart wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

I'm new to sun, but have some experiece installing fbsd to
i386, alpha and ia64.

I've sun blade 1500: http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/sunblade1500/

I just burned a 8.0 release cd, and tried to boot from it.
I've a keyboard, mouse and screen attached.
I get to OK prompt, type "boot cdrom", but the process
stops after a few seconds with:

jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0088000.

Then nothing, and the keyboard is not responsive.
I have to force cold reset. On restart the process
repeats.

Hi

I know on some Sun kit this can mean that the boot process is now
carrying on via a serial port.

ok, I'll try to check this out.

In the meantime I tried 7.2 cd with very similar result - I'm stuck with

jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0078000

Also, there seem to be no reset button on the desktop.
Is there a keyboard key or combination to force a reset?

Not sure what you mean by "reset button" but STOP-A is the usual key
combination to get you to the OpenBOOT prom.

yes, this was what I'm after. STOP/A doesn't seem to have any
effect on my box. Do you mean hit "A" while "STOP" is pressed?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building

  • trouble installing to sun blade 1500
    ... I've sun blade 1500: http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/sunblade1500/ ... and the keyboard is not responsive. ... I have to force cold reset. ... there seem to be no reset button on the desktop. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: trouble installing to sun blade 1500
    ... I've sun blade 1500: http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/sunblade1500/ ... I just burned a 8.0 release cd, and tried to boot from it. ... and the keyboard is not responsive. ... carrying on via a serial port. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Help booting a system
    ... I have a Sun Blade 150 connected to a regular PC keyboard via a KVM switch. ... unknown. ... In order to boot from the CD, ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Frozen mouse on new SUSE v9.3 -- AFTER several successful sessions
    ... > I have gone on line with it, using Firefox, and am pleased. ... > The only way I could shut the system down was with the Reset ... > Perhaps there was a way with the keyboard, ... > I assume that I need to boot to the Fail Safe option, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems
    ... I would like to install OpenBSD 3.9/sparc64 on my Sun Blade 100. ... I can boot of the CD, no problem but then when I arrive to the install prompt it's impossible to write any input through the keyboard, nothing happens if I type something with the keyboard and nothing appears on the screen. ... I am using a normal Sun USB keyboard which was delivered with my Sun Blade 100. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)