Re: Adding an alias to .cshrc

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:07:35PM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:

Glen Barber wrote:
Hi Steve

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all, happy holidays!

I want to add an alias to my .cshrc file:

alias srm find . -name "*~" | xargs rm

Try enclosing it in quotes, such as:

alias srm "find . -name \"*~\" | xargs rm"

This works. Instead of escaping, I just encapsulated within single-quotes:

acct-dev: ISP-RADIUS % grep srm /home/steve/.cshrc
alias srm '/usr/bin/find . -name "*~" | /usr/bin/xargs rm'

That is OK as long as you are not depending on shell expansion effects.

////jerry

Olivier:

I didn't test your theory, but thanks for the tip. I've just become
accustomed over the years to use xargs when making bulk rm's ;)

Steve

  • Re: Adding an alias to .cshrc
    ... I want to add an alias to my .cshrc file: ... Try enclosing it in quotes, ... Instead of escaping, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Help with Comma Delimited Files
    ... > The original file had each field enclosed in quotes ... > enclosed in quotes. ... The CSV file had Albany,NY but the software will not ... > this by parsing out the fields and enclosing them in quotes? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: Help with Comma Delimited Files
    ... >> The original file had each field enclosed in quotes ... >> enclosed in quotes. ... The CSV file had Albany,NY but the software will not ... >> this by parsing out the fields and enclosing them in quotes? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: single quotes in recipient address causes dns lookup failure
    ... quotes which causes DNS lookups to fail. ... believe using single-quotes like this around the RHS value of the ... recipient address is illegal ... ... end to avoid delivery failures in such cases? ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Help with Comma Delimited Files
    ... The original file had each field enclosed in quotes ... I had "Albany NY" and I used excel to create Albany in one column and NY in ... The CSV file had Albany,NY but the software will not ... this by parsing out the fields and enclosing them in quotes? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)