Re: amd64: Fatal Trap 12 in high load situations

ms80 wrote:

[snip]

Thank you for your reply.
I'm using two of this: OCZ3P1333LVAM4GK
(OCZ DDR3 AMD Edition, rated for 1333MHz at 1.65V). My Board is rated for
1066 - 1600 MHz memory, and neither the website nor the manual say
anything about limitations with memory. Anyway: I didn't overclock cpu or
memory. I have stability and long life in mind, so I try to keep the
hardware cool. During testing I underclocked the memory with 1066 and 800
MHz which didn't help: The machine crashes anyway. The only thing to note
is that by default the board tries to set 1.5V DDR3 Voltage which is
wrong, you have to set it to 1.65V manually.

A faulty piece of hardware was the first thing I suspected and I tested
among other things the memory with memtest86+. This runs fine for 4
passes, without any error. As far as I can tell, my memory subsystem is
ok.

Poking around in the OCZ forum for something I thought I recalled seeing
somewhere before. I had seen reports that this board might be touchy about
1.65v memory. As far as the consensus goes with the small sampling I looked
at, it seemed that 1.63 or 1.64 vdc was the sweet spot. Some claims are that
it didn't want to work at anything either above or below this range.

My RAM is OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK (anything with BE or AM in the part number is
designed specifically for AM3). I thought it was 1.5v, but since I didn't
remember for certain I checked and it shows a spec for 1.65v. However, I
rebooted so I could look at the CMOS/BIOS stuff and I have the System
Voltage Control section set for "AUTO" for all. Then I looked in the "PC
Health Status" page and on the "DDR3 1.5V" line it was only reading 1.600v.

There seems to be a general feeling the newer AMD processors don't much care
for higher memory voltages. Try lowering your voltages and see if it helps.

I am successfully using this board with the CPU clock set at 240MHz, which
with the x14 multiplier results in 3.36GHz operation. The Hypertransport and
FSB bus speeds are 2400MHz and the memory is running at 1599MHz at the x6.66
multiplier. When I get the RAM up to 1680MHz is where I can get it to
freeze. As long as I don't do that it is totally stable.

-Mike

  • Re: Isnt Command Rate a "memory setting?"
    ... I seem to recall someone stating that the actual decrement in RAM ... My recollection is a number like 20% memory bandwidth is mentioned, ... more than the voltage stated in the BIOS? ... hardware monitor measures Vdimm or the terminator voltage Vtt. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Mixing RAM modules
    ... Will the DDR3 1600 work at the lower voltage? ... the memory interface is right on the processor. ... The 1.35V RAM, is a recent innovation, intended ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Mixing RAM modules
    ... Will the DDR3 1600 work at the lower voltage? ... the memory interface is right on the processor. ... The 1.35V RAM, is a recent innovation, intended ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Computer crashes with 4gb DDR3 RAM, but works with 2gb
    ... Contact the ram manufacturer if you can't find recommended and max voltagespecs on their website. ... When I turn on my pc with just ONE of the two memory ... blue screens of error messages, but it would just reboot without any ... For instance, the voltage is set to 1.54, while the memory specs state that it ...
  • Re: [BugTraq] Peter Gutmann data deletion theaory?
    ... Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory ... amplification would quickly move the voltage ... The question is whether the chip could be powered up ... Dynamic RAM involves a single transistor connecting a single capacitor ...
    (Bugtraq)