Re: Java in FF3.6

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 14:30:28 -0600
Programmer In Training <pit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> articulated:

According to /usr/ports/UPDATING the Java plugin does not work in
FF3.6. Is this a Java issue, a FireFox issue or a FreeBSD issue? I
just noticed this today as I was going through looking through it
because of the thread about upgrading from perl5.8 to perl5.10 (the
instructions in UPDATING don't seem to be working for me, but that's
not a concern as I'm not looking to upgrade to 5.10, yet).

I didn't know if this question belongs here or on the -ports mailing
list, but I am not x-posting. I'll just start a discussion there
depending on how I'm informed here.

Please check out this URL:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

I believer that the FreeBSD version of Java is several versions behind
that. Therefore, it would appear to be a FreeBSD problem.

--
Jerry
gesbbb@xxxxxxxxx

|::::=======
|::::=======
|===========
|===========

Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

  • Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...
    ... NEED Java support in their browsers - and not of their own choice. ... courses (not BASIC programming courses!) often use Java to teach ... I'm using FreeBSD *exclusively* on the desktop since version 4.0. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...
    ... It took years, literally, before FreeBSD matured enough to get 64-bit ... On my machine, FreeBSD-8.1 x86, Java works. ... The openjdk package did not include a mozilla plugin, ... a firefox problem, and not a Java problem or a FreeBSD problem. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD
    ... Sure FreeBSD isn't hard for those of us who have used it for years, but seriously, to expect a newbie to just roll the OS out, get a desktop up and running, install a functional flash and java without encountering any difficult issues is a bit unrealistic, don't you think? ... Again, this is *not* a knock on FreeBSD, but there is a world of difference between installing an OS that runs a window display system and a DM and flash and java and all the things that I am forced to use for my work out of the box and installing all those ports and maintaining them and fixing the problems that inevitably occur. ... When I need to do a remote session with a vendor to fix yet-another-problem on a stupid Windows server, I need Java to work flawlessly with Go To My PC. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Firefox for FBSD?
    ... >Is there a Firefox version for Freebsd or must we use the one for Linux? ... If you want the java plug-in I suggest you install that first, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Java plugin with Firefox 3.6
    ... Ian Smith articulated: ... 'Keep FreeBSD 100% Firefox-Compatible' Department; ... serviceable version of Java, suitable for Firefox-3.6, does not exist ... functional rather than simply bumping version numbers. ...
    (freebsd-questions)