Re: VirtualBox from the command line

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Aiza <aiza21@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:aiza21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Does VirtualBox launch from the FBSD command line?
Is there a package for it in the pkg system?

# VirtualBox -h
Sun VirtualBox Graphical User Interface 3.1.2_OSE
(C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Usage:
--startvm <vmname|UUID> start a VM by specifying its UUID or name
--rmode sdl|image select different render mode (default is sdl)

There are other ways too, eg VBoxHeadless

--
Adam Vande More

I read the VirtualBox section in the handbook. Not very informative.
I also read the VirtualBox manual here
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#startingvboxonlinux
The VirtualBox website http://www.virtualbox.org shows a GUI manager for configuring the host and guest setups. I did

pkg_add -r virtualbox

During the install got these messages

Your SDL library has been built with libvgl support, which means that you can run almost any SDL application straight on your console (VESA 2.0 compatible videocard is required). To do this you have to load the vesa kernel module or enable it in your kernel, and set environment variable "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=vgl".

Since i Want to run virtualbox under vga I did this
set env SDL_VIDEODRIVER=vgl
added vesa_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf

At the end of the package install it says to
Add vboxdrv_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
and reboot which i did.

before launching do
mount -t procfs proc /proc
pw groupmod vboxusers -m root

To launch it enter VirtualBox on the command line.
[take special note of the capital letters V & B in
the command name]

I get msg "Failed to open the X11 display."

tried starting VBoxSDL get this error
VBoxSDL: Error -1908 in suplibOsInit!
VBoxSDL: Kernel driver not installed
VBoxSDL: Tip! Make sure the kernel module is loaded.
It may also help to reinstall VirtualBox.

Tried starting VBoxManager
VBoxManager: Command not found.

Tried starting VBoxHeadless
VBoxHeadless: Error -1908 in suplibOsInit!
VBoxHeadless: Kernel driver not installed
VBoxHeadless: Tip! Make sure the kernel module is loaded.
It may also help to reinstall VirtualBox.

Why don't virtual box GUI start in vga mode?

Is this telling me that I have to have Xorg and some
desktop running before VirtualBox's gui will function?

Are the scripts provided by vboxtool the only way to have
command line control of VirtualBox?
http://vboxtool.sourceforge.net/

See talk about vboxweb as alternate VirtualBox manager.
http://vboxweb.blogspot.com/
Does not look like this is out of development yet.
Anybody using this?

  • Re: VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...
    ... easy thing on linux compare to windows, installing virtualbox and running ... to the host but not into the virtualbox Suse.... ... Windows so thanks for hinting me toward the solution. ... Command line permits you to control *every* aspect of your operating ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Newbie Still confused about copy/clone virtual box vm/vhd
    ... VBoxManage clonehd ... This command duplicates a registered virtual hard disk image to a new ... system or imported into VirtualBox again using the Virtual Disk ... VBoxManage is a terminal command. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: help with virtualbox
    ... can't test USB ... The manual and web tutorials the OP found are probably all there is, ... have a feeling that virtualbox before version 4 didn't do headless, ... virtualbox is the command line, and as usual the GUI makes it very easy ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Ubuntu Frust: Kein Full Screen in VirtualBox
    ... 'VBoxManage' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. ... Weder von der normalen Command Line aus noch aus der .VirtualBox directory. ... "Zuse, Zuse" sprach die Tante, als das Rechenzimmer brannte ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: [Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD!
    ... FreeBSD, we started the work on a port for FreeBSD. ... coredumps when loading or unloading the kernel module. ... Virtualbox says it is running, ...
    (freebsd-current)