Re: magic cmd[s]??

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:47:31AM +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
On Sunday 09 May 2010 03:54:43 Gary Kline wrote:
for some reason, i am having trouble burning 80-release. i did
get the oc-bsd dvd d/loaded And burned ... and my '05 thinkpad
recognized the dvd and installed. i have failed several times to
d/l the 8.0-R torrent. the checksums are valid. but usinng k3b
only 50% of the task is burned. is there some magic command or
procedure that i'm missing in burning the iso file from my
torrent dir to the dvd?

also, how do i erase the several dvd discs that i would like to
reuse? there are dvd-rw.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html has a good
explanation of how to write and erase DVDs.

Gaaaak. more than i needed to know! it isn't 'erase'; rather
'blank'; moreover, it seems that i can just overwrite the
dvd+rw.

my thinkpad optical device =is=, surprisingly, good. my old
5.3 install CD works, so if i torrent either the boot or the
8.0-'all' data, i should have something that boots and also
has all of 8.0-R. [[anybody know if i'm right/wrong/just-hoping?]]

i found the cvsup stuff on pc-bsd, and it looks very much
like my 7.3 files and directories here. has anybody tried to
install 8.0-release FreeBSD on top of pc-bsd? [in other
words: will it work, or am i likely to see smoke coming from
my boat-anchor?]

--
Bruce Cran

--
Gary Kline kline@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php

  • Re: Evo and Exchange
    ... FC3 and an upgrade from FC2 to FC3. ... I started EVO again, ... >> said was unsigned so wouldn't install it however this morning did yum update ... > DVDs are not CDs and you need different programs two write DVDs though DVD ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: A little help please!
    ... This so far was the best map to getting DVD media working I am going to ... Also I have the latest libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-dev installed. ... sudo aptitude install totem-xine ... Click either free or non-free depending on where the package you ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Vista Home Basic SP1 no luck
    ... DVD, but with backup/image/restore software on the HD. ... Windows update does not remind me anymore to install SP1, ... have really been stupid to get a Vista machine. ... restoration was some sort of restoration image on the hard drive ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Seeking Help
    ... As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu from ... a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric! ... There is a well known and very well respected member of this mail list who has been promoting the idea that people who are having hassles with downloading the necessary files using the internet to buy a DVD - I repeat DVD - from the site I mentioned because it contained *all* the files necessary to install Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 2 Macs: FW Target DM questions
    ... You can put the Intel Mini into target mode and copy data onto its hard ... and install from there or will it only install from a DVD? ... You have to boot from the DVD to do the installation. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)