Re: Help with setting up a mail server

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:03:55PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman
<aryeh.friedman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:33:28 -0400
Jerry <freebsd.user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:26:44 -0400
Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman@xxxxxxxxx> articulated:

I am a consultant and was retained by my client to setup qmail or
exim on a VPS running 8.0-STABLE (i386). After setting up the DNS
(A record and MX record) we have been unable to send or receive
mail. The client has/had a working script for installing qmail on
7.1-STABLE but it seems to not work on 8.0-STABLE. They are using
the same VPS provider who this 7.1-STABLE install script worked
under. I have tried everything I can think of to make it work
including asking obvious questions on -questions@.

I informed the client that the task is likely beyond me capabilities
but I would help recruit someone who would be able to do it at a
reasonable fee paid to them (I am acting as a no cost middle man on
this [I am helping the client for free since I was unable to get it
done]).

Please send any ideas and/or offers to do the job

I would seriously suggest that you consider installing Postfix. It is
in the ports tree, is well maintained and works out of the box. The
Postfix forum will be glad to give you any advice you need for setting
up and securing your mail server. Qmail is no longer supported by its
author and can be a nightmare to maintain.

We had also tried sendmail and couldn't get that working either so I
suspect it is a general config issue not a MTA one.  (I have set
sendmail up about 30 times in the past so I know a little bit about it)

Exim is a very good choice. Forget the Postfix suggestions. It's
Sendmail's brother:-)

Sendmail comes from a good family.

////jerry

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

  • Re: Mail Services
    ... > package from the Fedora install. ... I like Sendmail, others Postfix or Exim. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Help with setting up a mail server
    ... exim on a VPS running 8.0-STABLE. ... I would seriously suggest that you consider installing Postfix. ... Exim is a very good choice. ... At least Postfix is fully RFC compliant, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Why did Debian bundle exim instead of postfix or sendmail as the Default MTA?
    ... >> Sendmail as the default MTA? ... > * Exim is easy to configure ... > * Postfix' license may be too restrictive for some ... the Debian Project and University of Cambridge AFAIK - but it's well ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: exim server is dead in the water
    ... A lot of people "configure" Sendmail by writing a few ... you have to deal with the real configuration file and there's a whole ... Exim shares with Sendmail the fact that its whole structure is defined ... Then I really recommend Postfix. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Help with setting up a mail server
    ... Jerry wrote: ... exim on a VPS running 8.0-STABLE. ... I would seriously suggest that you consider installing Postfix. ... Exim is a very good choice. ...
    (freebsd-questions)