Re: how now [green] KDE?

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Gary Kline wrote:

It has been nearly ten years since I last dealt with getting-X-going. Right now I have ballpark 530 ports installed. Can anybody give me the command that I can type from /usr/ports?

Last time I installed X, I used the x11/xorg metaport and pkg_add:

pkg_add -r xorg

...much faster than building ports. I don't know how much about KDE, but I'd suggest that you get X working first and then tackle KDE, rather than try to do everything in one big step.

Also, what do I add to ~kline/[*]?

I have the file .xinitrc in ~, but I think that gets created by the xorg install process. Don't know what you would need for KDE, but I would hope the package/port would create a default version of whatever you need.

Hope it goes well!

--
Chris Hill chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
** [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

  • Re: Best variant of Fedora for a Virtual Machine...?
    ... at the command line: obtaining terminal windows using KDE ... Konsole is the preferred terminal emulator in KDE. ... having tried to adopt the "Fedora ... You can have several different DE's coexisting on a single Fedora installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: asrock, problem with nic after windows-boot - Exact Opposite issue the OP is having
    ... Indeed - I see your point - especially when it comes to distributions ... test/convert to a *nix based OS; ... It normally _runs_ under the command line, but if the GUI is doing ... problem for the OP was about Viewing ZIP files ads SubDIRs in KDE, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 konsole options
    ... Does anyone know where these profile ... Except that ShowMenuBar appears to be bugged - even without command line args, ... --noframe is redundant as KDE 4 konsole never shows the extra frame, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Just installed FreeBSD
    ... Then what do I do, how do i load kde or afterstep, ... > what command do i need to type for that to come up ... > shells for you and you work in the shells. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] SFTP performance degradation under Dolphin and Konqueror
    ... Dolpin and konqueror use kio_sftp to use the sftp protocol. ... uses the libssh library. ... In KDE < 4.3 times, kio_sftp called the sftp command line binary. ...
    (SuSE)