Re: qmail or postfix?

I like qmail, but I would, having written a book about it.

If you want something that works reasonably well out of the
box, I'd use Postfix. If you want something you can tweak to
do whatever you want, qmail is more of a toolkit.

Don't use the version of qmail in ports, it includes way too many
sloppily written patches. netqmail 1.06 is a reasonable place to
start.

http://qmail.org/netqmail/

I've replaced the qmail SMTP daemon with Bruce Guenter's mailfront,
which is in the ports collection. It has a flexible plugin design
which I've used to do better logging, spamassassin and DCC during the
SMTP session, etc.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

  • Re: Qmail Upgrade
    ... I've googled myself to death! ... I don't know if there is a newer version of qmail out there, ... You can find the portupgrade tool in the ports collection. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
    ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... to compare it to Postfix. ... in Sendmail. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
    ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... to compare it to Postfix. ... qmail than Sendmail or Postfix. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] MTA Selection
    ... > security is an absolute requirement. ... qmail works right out of the box.. ... a lot smaller than Sendmail or Postfix. ... "It uses two large monolithic configuration files, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
    ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... But after many years testing nearly every mail server, ... to compare it to Postfix. ... MTA of their Firewall. ...
    (SuSE)