Re: IDE -- mount partitions for better performance

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:17:34 -0400, freebsd_user@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
did I get it right? You have four hard disks?

Yes, four separate HDD's

I assume you have two on each of the two lines:

ad0 = primary master

ad1 = primary slave

ad2 = secondary master

ad3 = secondary slave

This is how they would be connected:

=====primary=====ad0-----ad1

=====secondary===ad2-----ad3

Are you suggesting something similar to:

/dev/ad4s1a for /
/dev/ad4s2a for /tmp
/dev/ad4s3a for /usr
/dev/ad4s4a for /var

No. You don't need to even slice the disks (if you're running
FreeBSD only, use "dangerously" dedicated layout). But if you
require compatibility, make the following layout (just a
suggestion):

ad0s1a = /
ad0s1d = /usr

ad1s1a = /tmp
ad1s1b = swap

ad2s1a = /var

ad3s1a = /home

Keep in mind that performance "across" ad0 and ad2 is best.
Masters are always good. Slaves are slower. Using primary
and secondary in parallel works good, working on a master
and a slave simultanously is worse.

So you have the chance to put different subtrees (for example
/usr/obj or /usr/src) on different partitions, drives and
lines if needed. The positioning always depends on how much
activity you expect on the certain file systems. You did get
this idea already.

Example:

/usr is on prim. master, 2nd partition
/usr/obj is mounted to /var/uobj on sec. master, 2nd partition

You could also add - with the known limitations (fixed size) -
other partitions depending on R/W activity, for example if
you need /export or /opt.

I have successfully used similar approaches in the past, also
using (P)ATA disks, but I had them on a separate controller
(also 2 ATA channels, just as you use them from the mainboard).

If you omit the slicing step, all examples remove "s1".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

  • Re: Replikations Frage
    ... vom Master auf den Slave kopiert hast und dabei die Permissions auf ... Die Datenbanken auf den Slave Server laufen ohne Probleme. ... # If you want to know which options a program support, ...
    (de.comp.datenbanken.mysql)
  • Re: When caveman Uhg invented fire
    ... be a business owner. ... But even the smallest "ownership" makes one a slave. ... Any "slave" can become the master. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: One-sided authentication for small micros?
    ... The master has a lookup table of all 'known' slave id's. ... This would reset all the slave keys to their lookup values. ... decides that it is a valid slave and starts to communicate with the slave. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: FIXMBR redux
    ... William, I did the best I could for you under the circumstances and I did ... >> "To remove the recovery console, delete the cmdcons folder from the root ... > drive as Master and formatted it anew, as Active and Primary, ... I then jumpered it as Slave, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Device Manager Issue
    ... Changing the jumper to Master only made the primary slave invisible in BIOS ... What does the BIOS read the drives as? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)