Re: IDE -- mount partitions for better performance

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:17:34 -0400, freebsd_user@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
did I get it right? You have four hard disks?

Yes, four separate HDD's

I assume you have two on each of the two lines:

ad0 = primary master

ad1 = primary slave

ad2 = secondary master

ad3 = secondary slave

This is how they would be connected:

Are you suggesting something similar to:

/dev/ad4s1a for /
/dev/ad4s2a for /tmp
/dev/ad4s3a for /usr
/dev/ad4s4a for /var

No. You don't need to even slice the disks (if you're running
FreeBSD only, use "dangerously" dedicated layout). But if you
require compatibility, make the following layout (just a

ad0s1a = /
ad0s1d = /usr

ad1s1a = /tmp
ad1s1b = swap

ad2s1a = /var

ad3s1a = /home

Keep in mind that performance "across" ad0 and ad2 is best.
Masters are always good. Slaves are slower. Using primary
and secondary in parallel works good, working on a master
and a slave simultanously is worse.

So you have the chance to put different subtrees (for example
/usr/obj or /usr/src) on different partitions, drives and
lines if needed. The positioning always depends on how much
activity you expect on the certain file systems. You did get
this idea already.

/usr is on prim. master, 2nd partition
/usr/obj is mounted to /var/uobj on sec. master, 2nd partition

You could also add - with the known limitations (fixed size) -
other partitions depending on R/W activity, for example if
you need /export or /opt.

I have successfully used similar approaches in the past, also
using (P)ATA disks, but I had them on a separate controller
(also 2 ATA channels, just as you use them from the mainboard).

If you omit the slicing step, all examples remove "s1".

Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

  • Re: Replikations Frage
    ... vom Master auf den Slave kopiert hast und dabei die Permissions auf ... Die Datenbanken auf den Slave Server laufen ohne Probleme. ... # If you want to know which options a program support, ...
  • Re: When caveman Uhg invented fire
    ... be a business owner. ... But even the smallest "ownership" makes one a slave. ... Any "slave" can become the master. ...
  • Re: One-sided authentication for small micros?
    ... The master has a lookup table of all 'known' slave id's. ... This would reset all the slave keys to their lookup values. ... decides that it is a valid slave and starts to communicate with the slave. ...
  • Re: FIXMBR redux
    ... William, I did the best I could for you under the circumstances and I did ... >> "To remove the recovery console, delete the cmdcons folder from the root ... > drive as Master and formatted it anew, as Active and Primary, ... I then jumpered it as Slave, ...
    ... >that is the master table with the name of the different School levels ... >That is the slave table with all the books used in each specifique level ... Select * from Items where OrderNumber =:OrderNumber. ... Set the Datasource property of the TadoDataset for Items to a datasource hooked ...