Re: Huge interrupt overhead reported after RAM added to Atom-based system

Have been doing more experimentation regarding this problem. It doesn't occur with a 1 GB memory module in the machine, nor with a 2 GB module -- only a 4 GB module.

This makes me wonder if there's some sort of memory bank switching or extended addressing mechanism here (like PAE). Perhaps it's causing some sort of interrupt every time a certain area of memory (perhaps the topmost portion) is accessed?

I'd like to experiment with having FreeBSD try to use less than the full 4 GB (e.g., to make it act as if memory ended at, say, 3 GB) but I'm not sure how to tell the kernel to do that.

--Brett Glass

  • Re: Politics and the military (Re: The rise in military science fiction)
    ... Possibly you can refresh my memory. ... "chemical weapons" site. ... If you've *got* that sort of intelligence, ... > circumstantial evidence rather than smoking-gun proof, or not act at all. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Faster Computers Someday
    ... with optical processing using four spare modulators that Bell Labs had ... Four were enough to do logic, but they needed a memory ... which some claim allows infinite multiplexing. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: sci.lang is not meant for religious propaganda
    ... all messages flushed immediately from you memory. ... to remember the term "experimental archaeology" ... imitative experimentation can be used to strengthen the inferential ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Xorg error 104 translation
    ... experimentation on this computer system and have come to the conclusion ... not preventing me from typing telinit 5 at the command prompt and when I ... I do know the minimum memory requirement for X is 192M and I have only ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Attaching conditions to RIPA ?
    ... Then your memory must be exceptionally good. ... related to a passphrase I ... for experimentation, or I typoed it when entering it. ... In each case I'm keeping the system intact in case inspiration stikes! ...
    (uk.legal)