Re: Enabling FTP and Telnet access for root and users

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 06:26:09AM -0600, Daniel Lewis wrote:
How do I enable Telnet and ftp access for root and users?
I turned on ftp and telnet in inetd but when at telenet or ftp prompt
access is denied.

Can we see the error message? Are you sure inetd is running? Using the right
username/password combination?

In all honesty, you're better off enabling sshd instead, which encrypts your
communication, and offers numerous other security enhancements over plain
telnet and ftp.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
_

  • Re: Enabling FTP and Telnet access for root and users
    ...  I turned on ftp and telnet in inetd but when at telenet or ftp prompt ... Why in God's name would you want to enable root access through ... insecure means such as telnet and ftp? ... Are your ftpd and telnetd services being wrapped by inetd? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Enabling FTP and Telnet access for root and users
    ...  I turned on ftp and telnet in inetd but when at telenet or ftp prompt ... Why in God's name would you want to enable root access through ... insecure means such as telnet and ftp? ... Are your ftpd and telnetd services being wrapped by inetd? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: firewalls and computer securi
    ... >So...I shouldn't be using ftp and telnet, but ssh and sftpinstead, ... what ssh is and won't go through the trouble of finding out. ... I had a high school ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server
    ... >& telnet (as long as telnet server is activated in inetd. ... would try to catch any messages for the two FTP ports. ... There is another network that also runs ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Redhat Linux 9
    ... I also use Telnet, FTP and Samba. ... still log in from the console as Root. ... OOPS chdir Login failed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)