Re: OFF Topic. FreeBSD and Android Development

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:46:13PM -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:

I am interested in learning about Android Development. I am
searching information on the web, documentation about how to start
learning about Android Development. Any links or tips to look at are
more than welcomed.

Talking with a friend he told me he is learning using some tools he
found but he is running them under Ubuntu.

What tools are these? If you provide specifics, we might be able to
provide information on whether the tools he uses work on FreeBSD as well.

If any of you is developing for Android using Freebsd as your
platform. Can you tell me about your experience? Tips and advice on
what to use to start are welcome.

I am not (yet) developing for Android on FreeBSD, but I plan to give it a
try in the very near future. My first steps in that direction will
probably involve writing code in Ruby, to be packaged and distributed to
be used with the Scripting Layer For Android. SL4A uses JRuby, which
means that Ruby applications for Android that use SL4A should have access
to the standard Java libraries on Android as well (in theory: I have not
tested this extensively yet).

I am considering graduating to Java/Dalvik development for Android at
some point, but I am not sure whether that would be necessary (or even
advantageous) for my purposes, at this point. I am interested in any
information your query might draw forth here, though, so I'll be watching
this thread.

I am not sure if this kind of off topic could be of interested to
the list so please feel free to answer me directly .

I think this is, in fact, on-topic for this list. It is a question
particular to FreeBSD, which is the point of the freebsd-questions
mailing list, as I understand it.

The following pages may be useful if Free Pascal is used as development
environment :

http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_JVM_Android_Development
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/Using_the_Android_SDK%2C_Emulator_and_Phones
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/OpenGL_ES_GUI
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Programming
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/Native_Android_GUI
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Custom_Drawn_Interface/Android

where Free Pascal and Lazarus are available in FreeBSD ports .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

  • Re: Ada on Android?
    ... compiler for FreeBSD athttp://www.dragonlace.net/ ... but is there a script or instruction to build a cross ... for Android somewhere? ... Only the GNAT-AUX repository has the necessary patches to build GNAT ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: OFF Topic. FreeBSD and Android Development
    ... I am interested in learning about Android Development. ... provide information on whether the tools he uses work on FreeBSD as well. ... means that Ruby applications for Android that use SL4A should have access ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Ada on Android?
    ... compiler for FreeBSD at http://www.dragonlace.net/ ... I don't need to target ARM; the Android API is for the JVM target. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • python for android anyone?
    ... Ive been wanting to try the sl4a for a new android phone Ive got hold ... of as spelt out at ... Has anyone any experience/dos/donts for this? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: new relaxed aplpe ios app rules. so are tcl apps are ok now ? (as long as they dont download cod
    ... they don't download code) ... Does anyone here know what's happening with Tcl on android? ... ASE to SL4A was fairly disruptive. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)