Re: Which Common Lisp port for FreeBSD/sparc64?

If the build of your favorite lisp still fails, you'll have to dive into the
source to see what's wrong. It might be something relatively easy to fix.
Some familiarity with C is probably required, though. :-)
Except for clisp, which is based on a C bootstrap, the others are written in lisp
and C code is reduced to very little. On the other hand the lisp compiler produces
machine code, so porting to another architecture requires important knowledge of
the machine. In particular for clisp i see this in the NetBSD pkgsrc makefile:
# Sparc64 has assembler code problems, see
# http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=952681&group_id=1355&atid=101355
NOT_FOR_PLATFORM= *-*-sparc64
NOT_FOR_PLATFORM+= *-*-arm
so i would not expect a quick solution. But no such restriction for sbcl.

As for Debian port of sbcl to 64 bits amd64 i know i have seen reports of incorrect
maxima programs in the maxima mailing list, so i suspect this port to be buggy. For
sparc64 i don't know. You can find various cmucl snapshots here:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/downloads/snapshots/2012/01/
i think one of the authors has a sparc machine, and also runs maxima, so i would be confident that
cmucl works OK on the sparc, but it is here apparently under solaris.

--

Michel Talon
talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Maxima
    ... How badly is Maxima broken vis-a-vis OpenBSD? ... Maxima requires clisp, ... which has some tensor support, (and very good documentation, I think. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: How to embed Maxima in Common Lisp?
    ... If you have no money to spare, it is my feeling that there are better ... I'm learning Lisp (clisp) with purpose to build a site for interactive ... how can I call Maxima from within a Lisp program? ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: 64-bit AMD Lisp
    ... Maxima also unusable on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD. ... CLISP and SBCL run on FreeBSD-amd64 (-STABLE, anyway, haven't tried ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: How to embed Maxima in Common Lisp?
    ... how can I call Maxima from within a Lisp program? ... Then you can launch Clisp ... Now I'll create the saved image. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: How to embed Maxima in Common Lisp?
    ... On my box Maxima was installed as debian package so it worked with GCL ... and save the current Lisp state. ... Then you can launch Clisp ... Now I'll create the saved image. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)