Re: Apache ports confusion!

From: Richard Schilling (rschi_at_rsmba.biz)
Date: 11/07/03

    Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:49:45 -0800
    To: Rick Updegrove <dislists@updegrove.net>

    I installed the Apache2 port, and installed everything else by hand - mod_ssl, mod_php etc . . .

    Works fine but it's more work - on the other hand you get the newer version of Apache.

    Richard Schilling

    On 2003.11.07 11:37 Rick Updegrove wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > (I am having problems with the ports@freebsd.org or is it
    > freebsd-ports@freebsd.org so I apologize in advance for what appears to
    > be a cross-posting)
    >
    > Assumptions: I cvsup and portupgrade regularly. I uses 4.9-STABLE
    > FreeBSD. I do not want to run Apache2 or FreeBSD 5.x
    >
    > I would like to run Apache on my FreeBSD machine. However, I am
    > confused as to which port(s) I actually should install. I warn you I
    > have some odd requirements. I do not wish to discuss why I want the
    > ports I want, I just would like to get some feedback as to which ports I
    > actually need to install : )
    >
    > Ok, I need Apache with http and https support.
    >
    > I also need Apache::ASP, and frontpage, php4, and mod_perl.
    >
    > Sounds easy huh?
    >
    > root@T-X /usr/ports/www # l | grep apache
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Oct 30 12:03 apache-contrib
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Oct 30 12:03 apache-jserv
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Nov 7 10:49 apache13
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Oct 30 17:58 apache13+ipv6
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Nov 6 14:13 apache13-fp
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Nov 7 10:51 apache13-modssl
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Oct 30 21:29 apache13-ssl
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Oct 30 17:58 apache2
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Nov 5 12:45 apache21
    >
    > Ok looking at that and my requirements I would guess I want to install
    >
    > apache13-fp and apache13-ssl?
    >
    > What about mod_frontpage and mod_ssl? What is the difference between
    > apache13-fp and mod_frontpage? What is the difference between
    > apache13-modssl, apache13-ssl and mod_ssl?
    >
    > I am fairly sure that mod_php gets installed when I install php4.
    >
    > I guess I will install mod_perl and the Apache::ASP modules last. They
    > worked the first time with no problems.
    >
    > Anyway, I am very confused and I spent all week with trial and error but
    > all I get is a lot of mis-matched apache dependency errors when I try to
    > install conflicting packages.
    >
    > Does anyone have some clues for me?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > Rick

    • Re: [PHP] Question before upgrading to 5
      ... anyway I see you did do a dual apache setup, cool, and got it working properly. ... but it sure is a cool trick if you really need to run php4 sites and php5 sites on one production ... install of apache would allow you to do. ... php in so far as you can also specify a custom prefix to have ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: PHP Tutorials
      ... >> In this tutorial we assume that your server has activated support for PHP ... install a web server locally (not just Apache). ...
      (comp.lang.php)
    • Re: Two newbie questions
      ... Apache to install OK but when I then tried to install PHP ... The packages mean it generally takes less skill and effort to install - ...
      (comp.lang.php)
    • Re: Upgrade Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 5 Help please
      ... I run from apache for my family website. ... some of the nice new features that I hear about with Fedora Core 5. ... don't work anymore would be a real problem. ... Format and install fresh would be a real nice way to go and I ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Need Help with Adding mod_ssl to Apache
      ... Solaris 9 system and I am using the relevant version of mod_ssl. ... rather than to install the web server from another source. ... Well, first of all, why are you using the Sun Freeware apache? ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)