Re: serious networking (em) performance (ggate and NFS) problem

From: Robert Watson (rwatson_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 11/18/04

    Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:27:44 +0000 (GMT)
    To: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl@gmx.net>

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

    > I really love 5.3 in many ways but here're some unbelievable transfer
    > rates, after I went out and bought a pair of Intel GigaBit Ethernet
    > Cards to solve my performance problem (*laugh*):

    I think the first thing you want to do is to try and determine whether the
    problem is a link layer problem, network layer problem, or application
    (file sharing) layer problem. Here's where I'd start looking:

    (1) I'd first off check that there wasn't a serious interrupt problem on
        the box, which is often triggered by ACPI problems. Get the box to be
        as idle as possible, and then use vmstat -i or stat -vmstat to see if
        anything is spewing interrupts.

    (2) Confirm that your hardware is capable of the desired rates: typically
        this involves looking at whether you have a decent card (most if_em
        cards are decent), whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit PCI, and so on. For
        unidirectional send on 32-bit PCI, be aware that it is not possible to
        achieve gigabit performance because the PCI bus isn't fast enough, for
        example.

    (3) Next, I'd use a tool like netperf (see ports collection) to establish
        three characteristics: round trip latency from user space to user
        space (UDP_RR), TCP throughput (TCP_STREAM), and large packet
        throughput (UDP_STREAM). With decent boxes on 5.3, you should have no
        trouble at all maxing out a single gig-e with if_em, assuming all is
        working well hardware wise and there's no software problem specific to
        your configuration.

    (4) Note that router latency (and even switch latency) can have a
        substantial impact on gigabit performance, even with no packet loss,
        in part due to stuff like ethernet flow control. You may want to put
        the two boxes back-to-back for testing purposes.

    (5) Next, I'd measure CPU consumption on the end box -- in particular, use
        top -S and systat -vmstat 1 to compare the idle condition of the
        system and the system under load.

    If you determine there is a link layer or IP layer problem, we can start
    digging into things like the error statistics in the card, negotiation
    issues, etc. If not, you want to move up the stack to try and
    characterize where it is you're hitting the performance issue.

    Robert N M Watson FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
    robert@fledge.watson.org Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research