Re: Newbie Question About System Update

From: Kevin Oberman (oberman_at_es.net)
Date: 04/19/05

    To: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:38:59 -0700

    > Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:28:39 -0400
    > From: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
    > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
    >
    > Jim Campbell <jim-c@charter.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been away from *NIX a few years. I have been playing with FreeBSD
    > > for a week or so now with mixed results. I am using release 4.11
    > > because for some reason 5.3 has problems seeing my hard drives. 4.11,
    > > Red Hat Linux and NetBSD have no such trouble.
    > >
    > > This afternoon I used the "Updating Sources with CVSup" in the FreeBSD
    > > Cheat Sheets and everything worked as advertized. I believe that it
    > > advised against using "make world" and suggested that I use "19.4.1 The
    > > Canonical Way to Update Your System" in the Handbook. I went through
    > > the following steps with no problem:
    > >
    > > # make buildworld
    > > # make installworld
    > > # mergemaster
    > > # reboot
    >
    > This is not correct, and this is not what 19.4.1 says. The correct
    > procedure is as Mike Schultz described. Please review that section of
    > the handbook.
    >
    > If you did, indeed, do as you described, then you have a world that's
    > out of sync with your kernel. Try this:
    > 1) Boot in to single user mode
    > 2) fsck
    > 3) mount -a
    > 4) cd /usr/src
    > 5) make buildkernel
    > 6) make installkernel
    > 7) reboot
    >
    > If you're unable to complete those steps, then you may be better off
    > reinstalling and trying again - write it off as part of the learning
    > process. There are ways to restore your system if you've made this
    > mistake and the above doesn't work, but it's rather advanced stuff.

    The right answer is to read and follow the instructions in
    /usr/src/UPDATING. (They are near the bottom of the file.)

    The list above missed adjkerntz (not needed if the hardware clock is
    running UTC). Adding swapon -a is a good safety net, too. I was
    recently bitten when I forgot.

    But rather then generate more poor or incomplete examples for people to
    trip over, the canonical answer should be to follow the instructions in
    UPDATING.

    --
    R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)