Re: background_fsck=no does not work?

From: Peter Jeremy (PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au)
Date: 04/26/05

    Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:03:08 +1000
    To: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>

    On Mon, 2005-Apr-25 14:19:00 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
    >Actually, I have seen a similar problem on 5.x WRT OpenOffice ...
    >0. OpenOffice hangs and cant' be killed
    >1. Reboot system
    >2. System claims all buffers flushed, then just hangs
    >3. After hardbooting, filesystems need fscked

    This sounds like the fault might be related to the deadlock I reported in
    http://lists.FreeBSD.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-April/013839.html

    In my case, OO.org was definitely involved, and it appears to have
    become unkillable before /usr locked up. Two of the locks were:
    - A shared lock on /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/libpsp645fi.so
    - /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/pagein holding an exclusive
      lock on /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program and wanting an exclusive
      lock on /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/libpsp645fi.so

    I have no idea what "pagein" is supposed to do but I can't see any
    good reason for it wanting to lock an OO.org shared library.

    I have the crashdump lying around in case anyone can suggest somewhere to
    look for the cause.

    --
    Peter Jeremy