Quality of FreeBSD

From: Alexey Yakimovich (aiy_at_ferens.net)
Date: 07/21/05

    To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
    Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:43:33 -0700

    Hello,

    I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1 release.
    I really like it. I like everything: kernel, ports, development,
    maintenance and release process.

    Unfortunately I have so many problems with release 5, with ATA (FAILURE
    - READ_DMA, TIMEOUT - READ_DMA, etc) in particularly.
    Definitely I was using production releases only. Finally after so many
    system rebuilds I found 5.3-RELEASE-p13 very stable.
    But because of my previous great experience with FreeBSD I decided to
    upgrade my 5.3 production to 5.4 production (5.4-RELEASE-p4). Now I have
    the same ATA problems as I had with first 5.3 "production" release.
    Please don't tell me that I have bad disk or m/b or ATA controller or
    cable. I'm pretty sure, 90%, it's not hardware related problem.

    My advice to FreeBSD release engineering team:
    - do more testing;
    - have it tested with hardware what was published in "Hardware Notes";
    - do not release it for production if it is not in production quality;
    - reread again what was written by yourself regarding 4.4 release
    quality.
    I wish to say more.

    This mail was written because I like FreeBSD and I want to continue
    using it. And wouldn't mind to wait longer for real production quality
    releases instead of start using something else. And please, I know, it's
    open source project.

    Best regards,
    Real FreeBSD fan

    • Re: Quality of FreeBSD
      ... And wouldn't mind to wait longer for real production quality ... on the hardware you know ... and FreeBSD users to do some of the testing. ... This change will help shake out software bugs relating to ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Quality of FreeBSD
      ... But the same thing in a production release is an entirely different ... It is NOT a situation where obscure, little-used hardware becomes ... The ATA problems are neither rare or difficult to ... Does word "production" mean something to FreeBSD ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
      ... It's difficult to escape the notion that FreeBSD is becoming an operating system by, and for, FreeBSD developers. ... Having two simultaneous production releases draws investment away from FreeBSD, because the relevance and longevity of those fixes are unknown. ... somewhere around 2007, a great many PCMCIA network cards (of interest to pfsense users, like me) just quit working.I found that this was still the case in 2010. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Security Announcements & Incremental Patches
      ... >> conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release'. ... > generating production server for example. ... You have to get critical security ... users than FreeBSD is so far beyond naive to be an out-and-out lie. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Need suggestions for a very secure web server with plone
      ... > I am working on setting up a web server with plone. ... > I am considering three alternatives - Slackware, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. ... IIRC Plone uses Zope. ... induce downtime if you are trying to get a production box reconfigured. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)