Re: custom kernel + if_xl + error

From: Kris Kennaway (kris_at_obsecurity.org)
Date: 09/04/05

    Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:44:21 -0400
    To: "L.Edgeworth" <primereflex@yahoo.co.uk>

    On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 02:15:56AM +0100, L.Edgeworth wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Not sure what I am missing but for some perculiar reason my kernel
    > config doesn't compile, it bails out with:
    >
    > ===> xl (depend)
    > ln -s /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VORPOL/opt_bdg.h opt_bdg.h
    > @ -> /usr/src/sys
    > machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
    > awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/mii/miibus_if.m -h
    > awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/pci/pci_if.m -h
    > awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/bus_if.m -h
    > awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/device_if.m -h
    > rm -f .depend
    > mkdep -f .depend -a -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@
    > -I@/contrib/altq -I@/../include -I/usr/include
    > -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM /usr/src/sys/modules/xl/../../pci/if_xl.c
    > 1 error
    > *** Error code 2
    > 1 error
    > *** Error code 2
    > 1 error

    Looks like you're running make -j. Don't do this when you encounter
    errors, because they're probably hidden far back in the output.

    Also, when you cause an error when you modify your kernel config, the
    logical thing to do is to back out your change, or carefully read the
    comments in GENERIC and NOTES that will usually tell you why what you
    did was wrong.

    Kris

    • Problems with custom kernel fbsd 6.2
      ... My kernel for freebsd 6.2 is not compiling but only with my custom config. ... I was able to compile it with the GENERIC kernel included, but my modified one will not compile. ... # Power management support ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: [SOLVED] Re: Hi, I am doing masquarading using my Debian machine
      ... my kernel, I use apt-get and installed the new kernel, I did not do ... So I assumed my old config file would have been used -- ... I shoudl have given the steps I took to compile the new kernel ... > if you learned to report what you observe, not what you think you see. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: stuck with 2.6.23.14 on x86_64
      ... the lastest that I can compile is 2.6.23.14; ... All .config are the same, ... SCSI controller: ... Right now, on AMD64 machines, I'm forced to patch by hand the kernel, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Differences between binary images and compiled kernels
      ... > they used to compile the particular kernel you're ... > named .config, and then ran make oldconfig, then ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Help: Error messages during kernel make modules
      ... > After gaining some experience with Linux, I have tried to compile the latest ... > with menu config. ... I rebooted into the new kernel. ... My drill is (with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3) is: ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)