Re: Upgrading sequence to 4.x from 3.3-R
- From: Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@xxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:20:25 +0100
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:19:41AM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
What is the correct way to upgrade FreeBSD from 3.3-R to 4.x?
Wow ... that's a bit of a leap. I expect you're going to have
problems going that far easily.
using recommended (extended a bit)
make -DNOCLEAN -DNOPERL -DNOPROFILE -DNOGAMES -DNOMAN buildworld
c++ -O -pipe -I/ar/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib
`catch', `throw', and `try' are all C++ reserved words
/ar/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc: In function
operator delete(void *)':
`operator delete(void *)' throws different exceptions...
<internal>:82: ...from previous declaration here
*** Error code 1
Currently I simply exclude gperf from bootstrap-tools from Makefile.inc,
seems a bit hackish...
I'm no expert on the source tree, but I would think that you might have an
time of it if you backup up the system and reinstalled.
If that seems terribly impractical, you might do better by stepping it. For
1) First upgrade to 3-STABLE.
2) Then upgrade to an early 4.x, such as 4.2-RELEASE
3) Then upgrade to 4-STABLE
I do think you're going to have problems if you attempt the upgrade without
upgrading perl as well. perl is used in many parts of the system in 4.x, if
you don't upgrade it, you may not even be able to build 4.x, and if it does
build and install, you may find many utilities don't work.
Wouldn't it be easier to do a binary upgrade?
Gunnar Flygt, SR
freebsd-stable@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx"
- Prev by Date: USB Memory Stick hangs 4.8-RC box immediately
- Next by Date: Uninstalled all X stuff, still no mozilla
- Previous by thread: USB Memory Stick hangs 4.8-RC box immediately
- Next by thread: Uninstalled all X stuff, still no mozilla