Re: SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:28:14 +0900
Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:19:54 +0300
Yar Tikhiy <yar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

yar> I finally spared some time to test your recent changes and found
yar> that the resolver still would retry using the first, and only the
yar> first, domain on the `search' list when the nameserver was down,
yar> which effectively led to another kind of request doubling.

yar> A similar effect was observed when a `domain' line was specified
yar> in resolv.conf in place of `search'.

yar> Is there a real reason to retry with a different domain when the
yar> nameserver doesn't respond at all?

It seems yet another issue. The errors returned by res_querydomain()
are not handled uniformity. Please try following patch:

Thank you! After applaying that additional patch a number of DNS
queries to unreachable name servers has decreased. Now, with three
unreachable name servers in resolv.conf and previously patched (my and
your patches) ftpd(8), I can successfully login to this machine by even
not patched ftp(1) from other FreeBSD 6.1-pre

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    ... But you'd still patch either way, ... of home users who don't even know what a security patch *IS*, ... But how many organisations firewall off internal servers from ... administrators have the time to watch the IDS given the number of patches they ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [HPADM] Summary: Patch management server (equivalent of Wintel WSUS and Redhat Satellite)
    ... Software Distributor has patch depot capability built in. ... It cannot offer patches or bundles of patches. ... Did some testing on this in our lab, you can't push out updates to servers ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Re: A 6% fix from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... I want control over our servers and computers. ... Especially with patches that cause problems. ... "Forced" updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: What could delete tcpip.sys and srv.sys from my Win2003 ?!
    ... I have working systems now because PSS gave me the latest patch that was ... was missing from my servers for whatever reason, I had to copy such file ... that doesn't rule out it could be the patches. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Microsoft Please re-evaluate your rating system.
    ... You should be going through internal classifications yourself as there is no one better to judge your company's risks ... each of the patches depending on the types of machines i.e. clients versus servers, ... The last "critical" patch for servers that I have seen that I thought was critical and required immediate action was the ... > patches from Microsoft it is impossible to properly asses ...
    (microsoft.public.security)