Re: Can't boot freebsd from usb device - Invalid slice

On 6/12/07, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 08:32:03PM +0400, WaW wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2-STABLE to usb device. After
> installation done successfully and reboot i getting messages like
> this:
>
> Invalid slice
> Invalid slice
> No /boot/loader
>
> FreeBSD/i386 boot
> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
>
> typing "da(0,a)/boot/loader" and many other variants had no success.
> Also i tried to install manually, allocating full disk for bsdlabel
> slice - same result.
>
> My motherboard is asus a8n-sli premium, and it is capable of booting
> from usb. Recently i successfully installed and booted opensuse from
> the same usb device.
>
> Is there any solution to make freebsd boot from usb device?
>
> PS as usb device i mean my usb flash and ata disk with external case,
> i tried both of them.

I believe this has been discussed before. The conclusions I remember
being reached were that the FreeBSD bootloader has issues when trying
boot USB disks (pendrives, CF, hard disks, etc.).

Using something like GRUB (yes, to boot FreeBSD) instead apparently
works fine. It's in ports; sysutils/grub.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

Thanks, i'll try it.

--
Vladimir K. aka WaW

  • Possible workaround for BTX halted error
    ... FreeBSD 7.2 on it (ultimately installing to a CF or SD memory card ... boot from the FreeBSD install CD: ... Building the boot loader arguments ... the boot menu I took out the PLoP CD, replaced it with the FreeBSD 7.2 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Using the boot-easy boot loader..
    ... > I am currently running FreeBSD 5.2.1, installing of OS'es is really not ... > a hard task for me, except this one time and it has to do with WINDOWS ... > Windows XP on my primary C drive, and I goto install the FreeBSD boot ... > freebsd boot loader... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Problems trying to boot from an 80GB Seagate
    ... My first attempt at installing FreeBSD (using the bootable CDROM images ... The BIOS CMOS is configured to "Auto" detect the drives on boot, ... Next, I created a NTFS partition on the drive with an XP install CD, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Problem: cannot install on Dell 400SC
    ... appear to write the boot block. ... FreeBSD installer write the FreeBSD MBR and it seemed to do so just ... >> not this particular model and especially not the LSIL SCSI controller. ... boots into the sysinstall or our install system just ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Failed installation of FreeBSD 5.4
    ... > I am attempting to install FreeBSD on a Pentium system ... > boot disks to install FreeBSD. ... It can be argued whether the hardware problems ...
    (freebsd-questions)