Re: switching bsdlabel's label

Jerry McAllister wrote:
What sysinstall does is assume that the 'a' partition will be
used for a root mount and the 'b' partition will be used for swap.
Sinc 'c' is reserved, it starts with 'd'. Then, if you later
add an 'a' it will end up being later (higher offset) than the 'd'.

I suppose it might confuse a person, but otherwise it is no problem
and probably would be best to just leave it that way.

The boot process assumes (by default) that the root file
system is on the "a" partition. If it isn't, you won't
be able to boot from that disk, unless you enter the real
root partition at the boot0 prompt.

So it is really a good idea to switch the partitions in
the label before putting that disk into production.

Best regards
Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Geschäftsfuehrung:
chen, HRB 125758, Geschäftsführer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart

FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

"I learned Java 3 years before Python. It was my language of
choice. It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts

  • SUMMARY: Moving /usr From Under Root "/" To Its Own Partition
    ... One of the reasons for doing this is to end up with a smaller root ... Install the boot block and boot off the new drive. ... " In order for the root partition to be fscked and remounted ... D> temporarily on the existing disk. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Grub Manual
    ... I have digested what you all have said and applied it to the small file I wrote on the Grub Manual. ... Please no more about what is root. ... Many people keep the entire Linux in one partition and in that case both of the root point to the same partition. ... Your computer often wants to use the name of the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: user failures
    ... I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something ... to the filter screen, but when I click the apply button, anything I've ... I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Why shrink but not move?
    ... I wanted to shrink the partition prior ... to and then shift and expand the root partition. ... It can also expand. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Live vv installed Linuxes?
    ... which partition is the root filesystem, ... filesystem for errors, this is then mounted. ... perhaps by changing partition sizes, but also how it might accomodate ... simply install its bootloader inside its own root partition and you're ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)