Re: Laggy X11 after updating to 8.0-RC1

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Warren Block <wblock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Rohit Grover wrote:

I have upgraded to 8.0-RC1 (from 7.2-STABLE) on my MacBook 4,1. I did
so by checking out stable/8 under /usr/src, rebuilding kernel/world,
and using portupgrade to update all installed ports from packages
available on the 8.0RC1 DVD-iso.

Since the update, my X11 is laggy. Now, I often have to move the mouse
before keystrokes/button presses take effect.

Make sure hal and dbus are enabled in rc.conf and running.  In xorg.conf,
remove Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off".

A bonus of using hal is that you can remove the keyboard and mouse sections
from xorg.conf.

As I've mentioned, I've updated the kernel/world, and updated
libpciaccess. Perhaps I'm having issues because I need to remove old
libs. How do I remove old libs?

cd /usr/src
make check-old-libs
make delete-old-libs

I deleted old libs using 'make delete-old-libs' from /usr/src, but
that has led to many other problems.
It seems many libraries currently in use were deleted in the process.
I'm having to rebuild/reinstall many of my applications to get them
working again.
And gdm doesn't work anymore. Initially X was complaining about
missing libraries, but after reinstalling a few packages, I now have
gdm going into an endless loop in which it X tries to startup,
displays the mouse pointer, and then re-initializes itself.
Starting X by itself gets me similar behaviour: the screen blanks out,
and then nothing happens.

There is nothing in /var/log/messages or on the console to help debug
the problem. No man page for gdm. Any ideas on what should be done?

thanks.

  • Re: what happened to KDE?
    ... > listed as a session option in gdm log-in window. ... unstable is currently missing the package libcupsys2. ... two packages conflict with each other. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • gdmgreeter segfaults after upgrade from patchlevel 3 to 4
    ... Manually install the old gdm packages fix the problem. ... ii libpam-modules 0.99.7.1-5ubuntu1 Pluggable Authentication Modules f ... ii libpam-runtime 0.99.7.1-5ubuntu1 Runtime support for the PAM librar ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: how to find why packages are automatically installed?
    ... But I'm still left with a whole slew of automatically installed packages I don't want anymore, and I can't figure out how to identify why they are still installed. ... i A gnome-session Recommends nautilus ... So, if I'm understanding correctly, aptitude is telling me that nautilus is automatically installed because of gdm and gnome-session. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [CLA-2003:766] Conectiva Security Announcement - gdm
    ... PACKAGE: gdm ... Local denial of service vulnerabilities ... It is recommended that all GDM users upgrade their packages. ... Detailed instructions reagarding the use of apt and upgrade examples ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [ MDKSA-2006:100 ] - Updated gdm packages fix vulnerability
    ... A vulnerability in gdm could allow a user to activate the gdm setup ... The updated packages have been patched to correct this issue. ... Mandriva Linux 2006.0/X86_64: ...
    (Bugtraq)