Re: FreeBSD-8 Dual Booting With Pre-Installed Windows 7?

Hello Masoom,

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:56:39 +0530
Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM, S Roberts <stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello Masoom,

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:54:12 +0530
Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM, S Roberts
<stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Masoom,
  Good to hear from you..,

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:57 +0530
Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stacey Roberts
<stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Leslie,
     Good to hear from you..,

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010, Leslie Jensen wrote:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg229158.html

/Leslie

I had a look at the thread - thanks..,

The documentation for EasyBCD documentation itself states that
its compatible with windows vista - there's nowhere that
actually states that it supports windows 7.

I have been using EasyBCD on Win7 + FBSD8 for some 6+ months now

That's great to hear.., Can you confirm that you started off
with a pre-installed windows 7 machine / single disk and then
**added** FreeBSD, please?

Win7 was not pre-installed. I have three partitions,
part1(c:) - NTFS
part2(d:) - FAT32
part3 - UFS2, not visible to Win7, visible in Disk Management
console as free space

Win7 is installed on part1, part2 is data drive so that bot OSes
can read/write do not want to use fusefs

first install Win7, then FreeBSD, then boot in Win7 and use
EasyBCD to add FreeBSD as another entry
remember to advise FreeBSD to not touch MBR.

Understood. So for your installation of FreeBSD, selecting "None
Leave Master Boot Record untouched" actually did work - and you did
**NOT** find that sysinstall still went ahead and messed with the
mbr?

Sorry for the questions, but I recall a recent thread where a few
people confirmed that this option does not behave as expected,
and folks ended up with broken windows mbrs.

yes,
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-April/056100.html
thread is actually correct, for me it is fresh install, in your case
it is little tricky to get it straight for a fresh install you can
install FreeBSD first then Win7, and then use EasyBSD. done.

Wiping the machine as you suggest is not an option.

This is a new, windows 7 preinstalled machine that came with **NO**
windows 7 install disks.

i guess, i have done that too. i.e. installed FreeBSD after Win7, then
used Win7 CD to repair
but take care, it can fail with that irritating send, don't send
dialog box

I'd have like to have known this earlier.., I wasn't set to start until
later this evening, so I guess its good to have found this out now.

so here is one trick if you got guts to try :). I recently got saved
with this trick

you have Win7 pre-installed, now free up some space and let FreeBSD
install, select the option "do not touch mbr". Next boot you will find
Win7 gone. Boot from Win7 CD and let it install at same location where
it is/was installed. Setup will warn you of already existing
installation. It might additionally say that it will move old
installation to "Windows.old" folder. Ignore this warning and let
setup continue. If I remember correctly the second option is
Extracting Windows Files(percentage). Let it come to second step and
execute it for a 5 mins, then cancel the setup, ignore all warning and
it will undo all changes, but by that time it will already have fixed
the bootloader problem. After you cancel setup, give it all time it
needs to undo, don't force reboot/power down.

hope this will enable you too install FreeBSD, a great development
environment have fun!

As I said above, the machine did not come with windows 7 installation
media included.

W Block earlier referred to the sysinstall mbr issue as a "rare bug",
but if you have yourself encountered this bug 6 months ago, then it
would appear to have been broken for a long time.

A search of PRs show;
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:37:58 GMT: bin/86600: sysinstall(8): Sysinstall
boot manager screen is misleading

Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:03:41 -0800 (PST): bin/121124: sysinstall(8):
FreeBSD 6.3 installation deletes MBR partition

Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:11:51 GMT: bin/129771: sysinstall(8): 7.1 RC1
sysinstalls installs boot0 even when told not to

I've been managing FreeBSD servers for years now, so I guess this type
of issue did slip through my attention gap - even so, going by the
earliest date there, seems like this ball has been dropping for a long
time :-/

Thanks for the suggestions, Masoom.

Regards,

S Roberts

Thanks again, Masoom.

Regards,

S Roberts

have fun!!

Tell me something - Which of the 3 FreeBSD boot manager options
did you select, please?

don't let FreeBSD touch your MBR, Win7 won't like that

Thanks!

Regards,

S Roberts

Or, am I missing something?

I noted that the link by the responder in the thread also
refers to a document that is based on windows vista, but will
review this as well.

Thanks!

Regards,

S Roberts

Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can some point me
to where I can find info on installing FreeBSD-8 to a
windows-7 pre-installed machine (single disk) in a
dual-boot set up, please?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

S Roberts

  • Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesnt BSD have an installerpackage like this ???
    ... the fact that FreeBSD is *different* from what you were used to working ... it's better to install smaller packages that work together ... I'm sure that, even on Windows, you've used small ... Did you actually *try* to install Apache using the ports? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • FreeBSD for the common man(or woman) (was: upgrade 7.2 overwrites partitions)
    ... Windows centric perspective. ... my success in utilizing FreeBSD to the people who took the time to write ... What I mean is that it would be nice for my mother to install and use ... Most computer users see an operating system(and the application they run ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: installing freebsd on windows
    ... windows vista runs well too on overmuscled hardware. ... are useless compared to any unix documentation. ... Did you actually install the 'Power Shell?' ... Things like FLASH have always been problematic on FreeBSD. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesnt BSD have an installerpackage like this ???
    ... >>All of these are available on FreeBSD too (except Mercury Mailserver, ... being said think the best way to install it, ... > contains many of the necessary Apache modules: ... I think we are in front of windows. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Windows 7 concerns
    ... Does Windows 7 also have something like Windows Explorer, ... Will I be able to install those items on my ... I recently replaced my desktop with XP with one using Win7 ... folders and drives" in "Folder ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)