Re: if_wpi is all kinds of broken

On 17/05/2010 23:38, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
On 17/05/2010 23:29, Warren Block wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2010, Christian Walther wrote:

Hi,

On 17 May 2010 17:05, Warren Block <wblock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2010, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
[...]

The ipw card in my T42 is the older mini-PCI (no "e").

Yes, and replacing this card is a problem, because the wireless card
in many IBM Thinkpad Laptops have a custom firmware, and the cards ID
is listed in the laptops BIOS. It won't work with any card not listed
there. There are ways to either flash the cards firmware or the BIOS
list, but I don't think that it's worth it.

Just because I have this link handy:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/wifi-card-pci-ids.html

That also has a link to some information on HP's version of the same thing.

The official genuine parts list for my notebook only lists Intel and
Boradcom wireless modules. So I suppose I'll just have to risk
buying a PCIe Atheros that I cannot use.

OK, this didn't really come as a surprise, the BIOS doesn't like
Atheros:
104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.
System halted. Remove device and restart.

I'm currently bypassing this by hotswapping the device after
passing the BIOS check and I have to say, the Atheros device
works great! No package loss, no interrupted connections ...
even though I'm not very close to the AP.

I put the connection under serious stress and it just keeps
on working. It actually appears to be /reliable/. A term I
never dared dream to apply to wireless networking.