Re: Why is NFSv4 so slow?

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:35:14AM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:

Being stuck in "newnfsreq" means that it is trying to establish a TCP
connection with the server (again smells like some networking issue).
<snip>
Disabling delegations is the next step. (They aren't
required for correct behaviour and are disabled by default because
they are the "greenest" part of the implementation.)

After disabling delegations, I was able to build world and kernel on two
different clients, and my port build problems went away as well.

I'm still left with a performance problem, although not quite as bad as I
originally reported. Directory listings are snappy once again, but playing
h264 video is choppy, particularly when seeking around: there's almost a
full second delay before it kicks in, no matter where I seek. With NFSv3
the delay on seeks was less than 0.1 seconds and the playback was never
jittery.

I can try it again with v3 client and v4 server, if you think that's
worthy of pursuit. If it makes any difference, the server's four CPUs are
pegged at 100% (running "nice +4" cpu-bound jobs). But that was the case
before I enabled v4 server too.

-- Rick C. Petty

  • Re: Why is NFSv4 so slow?
    ... On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Rick C. Petty wrote: ... connection with the server. ... Disabling delegations is the next step. ... still be noticible for an NFSv3 mount to the experimental server. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • No such Name, and 5second dns delay.
    ... the second server listed in the resolv.conf.. ... explain the 5 second delay, didn't understand why it was happening, ... ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 500 ... ;; Query time: 14 msec ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
  • RE: 15 second delay
    ... we get a 15 second delay between submitting the ... restarted an Application Pool (as we were getting errors about receive ... The 15 second delay will occur on each fresh connection to the server. ... So if I make a call from a test harness it will take 15 seconds to ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • ODBC / mssql very slow
    ... In my current project I have a performance problem. ... That same queryX takes 2 seconds to complete when executed in SQL Server Management Studio. ... I have the impression my slow performance is caused by the fact that ODBC fetches each record one by one. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • RE: performance problem with dbd oracle
    ... I am running all these tests on the same server - does the network latency ... oracle Solaris and we didn't see the performance problem with that combo. ... Shouldn't network latency have affect DBD::mysql also? ... >> The performance problem is actually worse with the real app which I have ...
    (perl.dbi.users)