Re: Unable to boot FreeBSD 8.0-p3

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Mark Blackman <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
GNUbie wrote:

Moving forward, what are your recommendations in order for me to be
able to boot from my system?

Boot from a "live" CD of some recent/reasonable vintage, mount the
filesystems and try to reinstall the old kernel installation? probably
as simple as a

1. "move installed kernel directory to another name"
2. "move kernel.old directory to kernel"

Bear in mind, I've not done this kind of fiddling for a while, so
I might have the precise details wrong.

1. Go into rescue shell.
2. Enter in: cd /mnt/boot; mv kernel kernel.old
3. Install kernel distribution from sysinstall

:).
-Garrett

  • Fatal trap 12 during boot of 5.3-BETA7 installation CD
    ... I've got a Compaq Presario S3500CL desktop machine and every time I boot the ... 5.3-BETA7 miniinst installation CD, ... I've never reported a kernel Fatal trap before, ... pci0: ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Help: Multi OS wont boot some OS - Grub Boot loader
    ... for default installation). ... I can boot only into SUSE and Kubuntu. ... a blank screen while trying to boot Mandriva issues a Kernel panic with the ... # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Kernel 2.4 and ASRock
    ... I've hit a problem with my Linux installation - in that I upgraded to the ... kernel from backports.org and my system hangs during boot. ... during boot with an infinate amount of "Lost Interrupt" errors on my IDE ... K7S8X MB) - and that it is fixed with the 2.6 BIOS upgrade. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Failing boot - Kernel panic
    ... Please append a correct "root=" boot option ... Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41 ... I'm using lilo as my boot manager for a multi-os ... without a problem-- and my Debian installation from ...
    (Debian-User)